We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Just wondering? I've stayed there before and the food was great. I just cannot recall if one can simply go there for a meal.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Not while I was there. If a person wasn't registered as a guest, with a wristband and a copy of a passport, a non-registered person couldn't even stand in the lobby. The furthest you could get was right inside the front door. Actually, at that time, they would stop you twice coming in (once at the guard station entrance and another time before you got to the front door). If your name wasn't on the registered guest list, you were turned away.

Granted, that was 18 months ago and I hope it's changed. Seemed pretty stupid at the time that we couldn't even bring our friends in (who live in Puerto Vallarta but are from our area) to have a beer. Seemed like it would have been good karma for the place.

Maybe JNSgraphic (who is a true expert on Sunset Plaza) noticed something different when he was last there the end of last year. Sure hope.

Looking forward to seeing responses from others (including JNS) in the hopes the management might have loosened up their hammerlock on guests having friends come by ---- some of whom might possibly want to stay there sometime and would spend money there.

I realize your question is different. Would really surprise me if you could just walk in to eat/drink at the restaurants but I'm hoping they will allow guests to bring friends these days, like most resorts will (once you go through a security process, of course).

Will be watching this thread. Good question.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

I doubt very much you would get past security at the gate... as much as I would agree that the food was great ( with all-inclusive ) items ala carte were very expensive with better options in town.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

So nothing has changed, JNS? Amazing. I would have thought SPB would have gotten their hospitality act together by now ;=))

It was that snotty-attitude of the management, when they wouldn't let our friends even come to visit us (when most resorts would have given them a temporary pass for a couple of hours) that keep us from returning to Sunset Plaza. Sad.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Unlike condos and other properties that are strictly time share, most hotel / time share properties we've stayed at (other than the Sheratons Thurs night Mexican Fiesta and Sunday brunch) generally don't let outsiders in for security reasons, maybe even more so when they have an AI option. We return to SPB for the best accommodations in the area, even with most of our dinners in town the all-inclusive is a bonus and very inexpensive in comparison to ala carte dining at the hotel.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Agree with you on the fantastic accommodations, JNS, but most of the places we've stayed will let people in if they stop at the desk and you (the registered guest) sign them in on a security sheet. They can only stay a certain amount of time and security will come look for them if they don't sign back out.

The most "lax" (if you want to call it that, but it's the last place I stayed) is Lindo Mar. Because of La Playita Restaurant downstairs, there is no security coming through the hotel. Anyone can wander in. The only security is the security staff who watch people coming in off the beach. They do watch the area so that area is tight. I imagine it would be through the lobby also, later at night.

Guess I've been spending too much time at Lindo Mar and Villa del Palmar, which do allow guests in. Others have done that also, as long as I signed them in and they only went to the restaurants and didn't stay long. That's all we expected.

I guess it depends on what is important to someone. It was a large disappointment to us (having a huge 2-bedroom unit at Sunset Plaza for just the two of us) that we couldn't even allow our friends to come upstairs to see the place for a few minutes. They are very well-off and live/work in PV. They were interested in coming to see us there (having hosted us for dinner in their Paramount Bay penthouse several times --- which is twice as big as our unit at SPB, so they weren't going to rip anyone off or anything) just to let their friends and family members know about a nice place to stay in Puerto Vallarta.

After we told them they weren't allowed to see us there, they crossed the place off their list. They did spend time with us at Lindo Mar though, which is very convenient from Paramount Bay. Obviously, Lindo Mar remains on their list. They loved it.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. "Security" is one thing. Being taken to the extreme is another. I prefer places which pay attention to what's going on but have a procedure where you can at least show your guest around for a short time and then check them out. Normal adult stuff. Personal preference.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Marly, that is ridiculous, are you saying that you pay for accommodations and no one can visit? I don't like that type of "hospitality" one bit. Surely there is more to the story. I'm astonished at this lack of hospitality. Are they so insular to think they "are above it all" (which they aren't), sorry I just can't comprehend this. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 06:53
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Unfortunately, luvthecity, that's the way it is there. I'd never had that experience before (been going to PV for a long time and stayed numerous places) but at least we realized ahead of time that --- due to security --- we would have to go through a formal process to have our guests come up to see our unit. So, we asked. Didn't like the response so we asked to speak to the manager. Same response. Hmmm. Not happy on that one.

JNS truly is the expert here on Sunset Plaza Beach Resort so he gave a good explanation. I was hoping they had loosened their policy (not so much "loosened" but gotten more intelligent about its implementation) but it doesn't sound like it. It seemed a very unfriendly, rigid place in November, 2011 when we were there.

My friends have lived there for years. They are very successful. They have people coming to visit them regularly from California and Illinois. I wanted to show off Sunset Plaza to them, as they would have liked to recommend it to their visitors. All we wanted to do was take them up to our beautiful 2-bedroom unit (with a full view of the bay and an awesome terrace) and have some snacks and drinks. They weren't going to stay overnight or anything. Might have been 90-minutes of chit-chat and relaxation and then we would have gone out to dinner elsewhere.

Nope. Not allowed. OK, fine ---- could I at least invite them in to have a drink in the lobby. Nope. Not allowed.

Yes, I paid plenty for that unit and "one would think" Sunset Plaza would want to show off their beautiful property. Nope. Not allowed (unless you take an official timeshare presentation).

As mentioned, these same friends came to visit me last December at Lindo Mar and we had dinner and drinks and sat around my lovely 1-bedroom unit for awhile afterward, just relaxing. No security problems in the slightest. They even had their two young children with them who the waiters at La Playita thought were a kick.

I realize these are two different places and two different situations. However, let's just say it's a "style difference" and I prefer the style at Lindo Mar. Villa del Palmar is the same. Welcoming to your guests but they do have to check in and can only stay for awhile. OK by me.

Hope that helps. (Sure would have been embarrassing if I hadn't asked up front, right?)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Doubt it much to do with 'security', more the possibility they might consume something without paying for it. Imagine a large group of friends visiting and eating/drinking on the occupants AI tab. Some places sell day passes for this reason.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

Personally I have no problem with the hotel not allowing guests and actually prefer it, only the 'paying' guests should benefit by the accommodation and amenities provided. As JR mentioned, some hotels offer day passes, and it really wouldnt be fair if a number of vacationers invited quests that were taking up loungers etc that other guests paid for. Signing in guests to your room is a totally different story but also more work for the hotel to keep track of mutliple guests coming and going. Also being a smaller hotel, the hotel is probably staffed to provide services to a certain amount of guests. Sunset Plaza does offer a time share presentation (soft sell, no pressure) that visitors can take advantage of by appointment to see the property and offers incentives/discounts for those booking a future trip or purchase, it also may include a tour of the Pelcanos Grand with a complimentary buffet breakfast; offers have varied over our past 2 trips.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 15:54
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we eat at Sunset Plaza if we are not staying there?

I think most of us would prefer to avoid a timeshare presentation just to get a chance to scope out the look/feel of a place.

I wouldn't have any problems signing in anywhere, leaving a deposit, buying a day pass. Because of the slow economy and coming out of a less than stellar high season, I would think hotels like SPB would offer something along those lines during the summer months or shoulder season at least...