We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

haven't had time to do an "official" trip report so it has been coming in dribs and drabs- sorry bout that - in any case, we've been to PV many times since August 2007 and never had a problem with bug bites (except for a trip to El Rio BBQ, which is sort of in the "jungle") - this past May, had problems with many bug bites that i am assuming were no see ums -strange - and that was WITH using OFF spray before going to dinner, using OFF towelettes while out etc - haven't changed my cologne or anything so not sure what that was all about - i'm just now seeing the end to the worst of the bunch -

i dread to think of how much worse it may have been had i not been using the OFF -

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

I always put spray on as well,We are planning to go there so I will double up!They seem to love me!!!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,047 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

We didn't see (or feel) one bug during our 2 week stay in May. We stayed in the Romantic Zone at Casa Isabel with our balcony wide open each night, and then at the Dreams Resort. We also visited Yelapa and Las Caletas and never saw one bug. It was dry all of the time we were there but we still marveled at that!

Edited: 09 June 2013, 03:22
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

Use Autan. Mexico bugs like Off.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

We had more bites than usual during our May trip. Lopo, so sorry our paths didn't cross. we could have commiserated.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,156 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

Well I know that if you two are mentioning them it must have been pretty bad. A little something to take home from PV as a reminder I guess. My husband has brought those itchy bites home with him too. They just love some people.

OFF and Autan both work for my husband. He sprays like a madman after his first and only episode with the little stinkers.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

I use Autan and it works very well, we go deep into the jungle hunting orchids and there's loads of bugs there. Yesterday I was standing with some friends on the bank of the Rio Cuale, unfortunately standing on an ant nest, just little ones, but they bit my feet pretty good, still inching today.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

still inching today

rub some lemons

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

You probably mean limes Michael, lemons are too expensive ! That old remedy really doesn't work anyway.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

We went out to the Petroglyphs the other day and hiked at least four or five kilometers through the jungle and orchards and never got a single bite. None of us. And only two used Off... So I guess it depends on where, when and who you are. On the other hand, I was downtown the other day and got attacked by a mosquito and have four bites on my back.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs in PV on our trip in May -

Rub ant bites with the inside of a banana peel