We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Puerto Vallarta

Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Puerto Vallarta

Hi everyone! My husband and I will be in Puerto Vallarta for the first time at the end of July. We' ve rented a condo at Vista del Sol which we understand is close to the restaurants. I am now looking at a couple of tours. Based on reviews "Rhythms of the Night" is a must. We are also looking at the San Sebastián Tour". The company I am thinking about using is Puerto Vallarta Tours. We will also need an airport transfer from them. Can anyone comment on our tour choices and especially the tour operators that I'm thinking about booking with?

Superior Tours Vallarta
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Charly's Sailing and Sport Fishing
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Hire
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

The company you're looking at doesn't run the tours. They are a ticket reseller. I always recommend when possible, buying directly from the company that owns/runs the tours for best customer service. In this case your tours are with Vallarta Adventures. BTW, if you book directly with them you get discounts, including if you buy 2 tours you get a third tour free. VA are a top quality tour owner/operator, I've taken many of their tours over the years and have never been disappointed in the quality or customer service.

Airport transfers really aren't a necessity in PV, they are simply another option. Airport taxis are easy, reasonable, and quick. Top Questions on the right, first link, for more info on them - and your fare to Vista del Sol should be 260 pesos in a brand new air conditioned sedan (airport taxis are federally zoned so cost a bit more than your return fare will in a regular taxi).

Edited: 11 June 2013, 15:58
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

What PVJennybean said :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,946 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

Here is their website:

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/

Our first tour anywhere in Mexico was in PV with them, longer ago than I care to admit- it was a 'Sierre Madre Adventure Tour' at the time....they were great!

|Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

We hope that you enjoy Puerto Vallarta as much as we do! Here is a link to a JR's site that has a lot of great info on PV and the area. The maps are also great. We print them and carry them with us to help us find where we want to go.

http://vallartainfo.com/index.html

Have a great trip!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

If you want to use a private shuttle to VDS, we really liked myvallartaexperience.com They were great and picked us up in nice, new, AC Yukons and were the best price we could find for a private shuttle. They are there waiting for you with a sign with your name.

As for tours, we always book in PV as we don't like to lock in before (and still get the 3 for 2 or 15% off). However another poster has recommended a company that we will try next time as you can change your dates whereas if you book directly with Vallarta Adventures you can't. The tours are still with VA, but you also save money. Kim Phillips at info@tourdeals.com. She works closely with Vallarta Adventures apparently. Anyway, give her a shout and see if you can get the great deals that the other poster had. We will certainly try that next time to save some money and for the flexibility. Glad we heard about her.

Enjoy your holiday. VDS is where we were planning on staying in Oct. until our plans had to change, maybe next time:)

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

I would just take a taxi from the airport. There's nothing easier than that. No need to prearrange "transfers".

Vallarta Adventures is well respected. Superior Tours is the other company I have used.

suze

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

Vallarta Adventures has no problem changing dates if you book with them direct, anyone can change the dates, including me. :) Someone may have told you that 'maried 11', but it ain't true !

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,679 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

I've had no trouble changing dates through VA on their tours before. Unless the change I want to make doesn't exist, the answer has always been "no hay problema".

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

We'll be neighbours then kcteach, we're staying at Plaza Mar.

Likely to also do some tours as I will have a newby with me.

Anycase will see you at the Sea Monkey!

Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

Sure will! I heard the Sea Monkey is a great place.