We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Might Faint!!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
I Might Faint!!

I have been watching prices for a flight from O'Hare to PV in Jan, Have been hovering around $650.00 each for non stop. Now they jumped to $800.00 each. I almost fainted! I may be cheaper driving down.

1. Re: I Might Faint!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 21:35
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Might Faint!!

Yesterday I searched for a PVR flight for July, $623. I made a phone call, renewed the site and it went to $721. I guess I have to wait till Sunday when they release more lower class seats. :(

|Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
818 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Might Faint!!

Hi tansandy, we are in the same boat! Which airline has the nonstop from ord? Have seen some from msp but not from ord yet.

USA
Level Contributor
594 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I Might Faint!!

There's currently a non-stop Frontier flight from ORD to PVR leaving July 23rd and returning July 30th for $480. I think that may be the last Frontier flight down for the season. Of course, you may faint because of the heat rather than the airfare, but jump on it!!!

Lake Mills...
Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Might Faint!!

Due to having beaucoup loyalty miles accumulated, we normally fly American and travel ORD-PVR mid January to mid March. The last few years it has been late June or early July when they release their non-stop prices (three choices each direction, all leaving between 7:00-ish and 11:00-ish outbound, 1:00 PM-ish and 4:00-ish return) for winter travel, so now is the time of year I've started watching their site daily. It's still too early and for the non-stops, and so far the best I've seen has been around $560 via Dallas-Fort Worth both ways with an over-night on the return, $520 with an over-night both ways. Booo. Traditionally, the first few days after the posting of the non-stop fares is when you'll see the lowest prices. My advice would be: be patient and wait for the non-stops to come out, be vigilant, and jump on it when they appear.

Related news: American announced earlier this week that they'll be adding rows of seats in the main cabin, further eroding what little legroom exists for coach passengers. Too bad you can't do it dog style -- roll down the window and hang your head (or feet) out, tongue flapping about like a pair of boxers on the clothes line during a hail storm.

United has had a non-stop available for several months already, about $560 when I first saw it, probably mid-March, and it's more like $725 last I looked.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
250 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I Might Faint!!

Prices have been crazy from ORD lately! I jumped on fares back in January 2013 for flights in February 2014. I'm bringing my mom and my older brother's kids with for their annual trip I take them on (usually to Disney, but want them to experience PVR) and so happy I did! I had paid a little over $700 total for each, but they are roundtrip in business. Now when I search for prices they $1656 each (coach for the same flights over $800). Considering I've been seeing super high fares in coach, I figured why not go business.

Set price alerts and as soon as you see a good price jump on it! I recently found this app called Yapta. After you buy your tickets, you put in the info (dates, locations, carrier, how much you paid, etc.). When the price drops enough below what you paid (they take into consideration the price change fees) you get an alert. I saved over $250 on my flights to Key West that way. American had a super sale and I ended up getting a voucher from them to use on future travel.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I Might Faint!!

United has non stops on Sat & Sun in Oct/Nov and then add Mon. on Jan. 13th from ORD. And I see the prices starting at $553 inc tax.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 16:46
Two Rivers...
Level Contributor
356 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I Might Faint!!

We are traveling at Thanksgiving, and I started looking really early due to the fact that, as a teacher, my dates are pretty set. We can fly out of Milwaukee or Chicago, but we stick to nonstop if at all possible. I had the same problem as you, the cost of flights was so high. We originally wanted to go thru Cancun to PDC but we couldn't find flights under $1000. We had the same problem when we looked at PV flights. We ended up with an Apple Vacation package with a direct flight out of Alaska Airlines. We are staying at Dreams PV. When I looked last week, Apple is no longer offering that flight as part of their package. The best option now is a flight with a layover in Phoenix, leaving two hours earlier than our flight and arriving in PV five hours later, and it costs $600 more for the package!!

That being said, we are thrilled with the package we got, and we can't wait to experience Dreams PV!! Happy 25th anniversary to us!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,194 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I Might Faint!!

Yikes. Prices seem crazy high from Seattle too!!! I just took a peak out at some dates in November and am seeing $650-800. I've never paid that much before (in 20 years it's gone from maybe $375 in the olden days up to $525 last year). suze

ND
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I Might Faint!!

I just got a one-way ticket from BIS - PVR on December 1st on United for $265. I was pretty happy with that price.