We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

Hi all - My husband and I were in PV for our very first All-Inclusive vacation in 2005. Since then, we have vacationed in Riveria Maya but this year we are looking to change it up. We'll be in Puerto Vallarta in November for our anniversary staying at Casa Velas.

We're looking for a relaxing vacation with no itinerary and no setting of alarm clocks but we would like to make sure that we don't miss anything. We visited the marina area and downtown PV on our last trip but we didn't eat off of the resort.

I'm sure that we'll head over to the marina area to walk around and also go to the Malecon. I understand that Sunday evening is the best time to visit. What other activities do you suggest we do? (We've done parasailing and ziplining in other destinations so we're not looking for that type of activity.) Also, any restaurant suggestions - we like just about anything.

Thank you!

Kimberly

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

There are soo many great restaurants and bars here in Old Town. I'd highly recommend spending a few nights in the neighborhood at spots like Mariscos Polo, El Brujo, Coco's Kitchen, Joe Jack's Fish Shack... the list goes on and on. You've also got a great coctail bar, Twisted Palms, which is a great way to start/end and evening.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

If you like craft beer, Conner's place Los Muertos Brewing is a great stop in Old Town. Really cool Tee Shirts for souvenirs as well!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

Ah, yes, but can I get a Bush Lite at Conner's? I'll buy a t-shirt! ;9)

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

Thanks everyone!

I'll be doing my research over the next couple of months!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,064 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

I don't think you'll find another Yelapa or a zoo like the PV Zoo anywhere else, so I would suggest one or both of those.

Restaurants? El Brujo as mentioned above....especially for their shellfish dishes...ie Shrimp Tratamal ...wonerfull! Atmosphere....You'll feel you're in Mexico...a little loud there but the food is so good.

Gaby also has very good shellfish and fish entrees and is Mexican in feel, very pretty little place.

Encanto....quaint and absolutely darling, quiet and probably not like anywhere you've been plus excellent food. Mexican Feel.

Vitea....great food and people watching on the Malecon Extension.

Those are a drop in the bucket!

Puerto VAllarta...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

sra. what so you like, and you don´t have to do asll them tours.., just let it go...

wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

"can I get a Bush Lite?" just drink a glass of Rio Cuale river water, same thing. lol

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

Bush lite oh my.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

Sounds like AmigoinPV is having a bit too many of those you mention tansandy ;-)

What to do, yeah, Malecon, great restaurant suggestions, a walk along Olas Altas and Los Muertos Beach to the pier and all the way to Pulpito and beyond is nice too, if you like walking on the beach.

I like the Vallarta Botanical Gardens too, it's something anyone would like (even if you don't really care for flowers), especially if you top it off eating at the Hacienda de Oro that's the garden's restaurant.

Add Trio, Archie's Wok and Dolce Vita to the restaurant list.

If you have a lot of time you can check the towns up north: Bucerias, La Cruz, San Pancho and Sayulita, but those are almost a day trip.

Have a great time.

Mogens

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for Puerto Vallarta activities and food

I'm planning a trip to the Botanical Gardens next month and am curious what menu prices are like at the Hacienda de Oro for 2 people. I'm guessing the little lady would prefer a nice gourmet meal with a beautiful view after a long hike rather than sandwiches out of the back of my backpack, but sometimes sacrifices must be made. Do you get access to the restaurant and views if you simply purchase a drink? Are there places along the way to stop for a picnic...tables or benches and such?

Edited: 25 June 2013, 17:12