We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV in early May

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
PV in early May

This is a long post, and I apologize for that, but for those that wallow through it, I would appreciate any advice.

We were in PV 5 years ago while on a cruise ship, and spent one day here. We were a family of 9 and chartered a fishing boat, where we were afforded the opportunity to fish, snorkel, visit the estuary, and spend a few fleeting hours at Yelapa. Since then, we have spent our time in Cabo, a week at a time, twice a year. My bride and I have booked a Condo and purchased airfare for PV in early May. We are in old town (romantic zone?) right on the Malecon, about 2 blocks from the "new" pier.

My lovely bride (of 43 years) loves to shop....I do so...for a bit....I like Cantinas, cervesos and Margaritas. She loves lobster and fish. I like shrimp and fish (if the cocktail sauce is sufficient to add enough flavor,) but also tend to crave a pizza or grinder after a few days of shrimp and tacos. I suspect that the lobster I PV is much like Cabo's in that it is rock lobster, but that is okay.

So......eating, drinking, shopping, people watching....a bit ashamed, but that pretty well covers it.

Any (reasonable) advice?

My appreciation, in advance.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PV in early May

Hello fellow Oregonian!

What kind of shopping for your wife? There was a great thread a little while back and PVDeb had many great clothing stores on it... They were dotted all around PV. downtown, old town, etc. So let us know what kind of shopping and I'm sure everyone will chime in with great shops for her.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,866 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PV in early May

hey Hooligan (know you from the Cabo forum)-

You're gonna LOVE your trip to PV. Food choices are similar to Cabo in that there are ALL kinds of places. You'll have no problem finding a pizza or burger is that's what you're in the mood for. I rarely eat "Mexican" food in PV. The shopping is glorious, your wife will be in heaven. Sounds like your condo is in a great location. best regards, from suze

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV in early May

777Deana777

I am blessed with a bride that likes to "shop". Period. Clothes, jewelry, shoes, junk (well, my definition, not her's).....whatever, within reason, keeps her happy, and (again, within reason) me as well.

What I have always loved about Cabo is that there always seems to a great Cantina close to where we shop. I would fervently hope that that will be the case in PV!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,866 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PV in early May

No worries there. Go first to B. Badillo (street name right near where you are staying). It pretty much alternates between boutique shops (clothes, jewelry, purses, etc.), and bars and restaurants

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PV in early May

"What I have always loved about Cabo is that there always seems to a great Cantina close to where we shop. I would fervently hope that that will be the case in PV!"

.... you will definitely not have any problem in that respect!!! :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PV in early May

It's my understanding that Conner W will have several cans of Busch Lite on hand for me in May....although I may have misunderstood.....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,939 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: PV in early May

She will not run out of shopping opportunities, and you will not run out of places to seek out shade and a cold one while you wait. You've described the dilemma of most men in a relationship traveling to PV, of which they are clearly aware and have raised the bar (no pun intended) to assist you in any way. (-;

And as one of my best friends likes to say about his equally addicted to shopping bride: when she gets thirsty, she'll come home. LOL

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PV in early May

Thanks Suze, Johnny and Jennybean. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

We're both looking forward to a new experience. We both love Cabo, and I certainly expect that PV will be just as great.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,939 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: PV in early May

The area you are in (by your description I'm thinking you might be along the Malecon Extension...perhaps even in Malecon Dos?), you won't have to go far to shop OR to drink. Establishments for both line each and every street around you.

Use this map to get a feel of the layout.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

Langley BC
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: PV in early May

you will love Vallarta in early May, it has now become our favourite month to be there. Shopping is boundless as are great "watering holes" to pass the time. Just wander, you'll find both in abundance!

PS we will be there May 2014, and I meet up with great friends that are super shoppers :) your bride is most welcome to join us and our guys always welcome new "blood" to share the "sit and wait what the heck did you buy pain" with lol!

Edited: 14 July 2013, 21:40