We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

Fremont, California
2 posts
Save Topic
PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

We are planning a trip to PV in August with our 3 year old. I like Vellas Vallarta which is in the Marina area. How far is the marina area from the downtown? Should we stay instead in the hotel zone like Villa Del Palmar,etc? Are the beaches in the hotel zone netter? Nice beach, kids pool is a must have. Easy access to downtown a good to have. Any information on this would be helpful.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,695 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

They are both Ofineareas. Depending exactly where you are maybe about 20 mins. from downtown in a taxi? I would focus more on which hotel you like best and which has the ammenities you are looking for. Getting into downtown by bus or taxi from either would be equally easy imo.

suze

Fremont, California
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

Thanks for the info this is very helpful. Would you know if the beach at Vellas Vallarta is good for swimming? We plan to spend a good amount of time on the beach and so good beach/water is important for us.

Fruitvale, CO
Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

The Vellas is an excelllent hotel. It has a kid's club and a separate kid's pool. Cabanas on the beach which is fine for swimming and walking. Bus to centro stops at door.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

For what you are describing the VV is a very good choice. Walk up & down the beach to see other resorts, never had a problem walking in to sneak a peek.

Only downside to that end of the marina is the bus to centro, there are only 4 buses an hour so is usually 15 to 20 minutes between buses. Nice thing about VV is from the hotel you can see the bus going up heading north, walk down to the street & catch it coming back on your side from the Bay View Grand.

I think the difference in taxi fare between VV & the hotel zone going to downtown would be about 30 pesos ($2.50)

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

Dreams PV has a small kids pool area, a kids club geared for 3+, a sister service available at an additional cost and one of the best (almost private) beaches in the area; just south of downtown vs the marina area north.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

If the beach is your "main" criteria, VDP has one of the best beaches in the hotel zone, larger than any of the beaches in the Marina area. If that is not your main criteria, Velas is a beautiful resort with the Marina restaurants very convenient. VDP, the bus is a little easier to take but taxis are equally easy at both resorts. VDP does have a gradual entry pool on the beach which is popular with the toddler set. :)

I guess it depends on what your highest priority is.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 22:27
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,948 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

Personally I like the marina area and Velas has a great resort, food, beach if good, service great...what more can I say...

I am right now at Dreams and just my opinion but I would go with Velas..though the beach here at Dreams is nice, Velas takes the cake on the rest!!

8. Re: PV: Marina Vallarta or Hotel Zone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:17