We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

Sacramento...
3 posts
Save Topic
Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

I was wondering if there are any bulletin boards or forums for people looking to share transportation from the airport? I am new to TA and am not sure what resources are available. I know that the odds of my arrival being at the same time as another reader are highly unlikely but I thought I would give a try anyway.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,784 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

Taxis are readily available at the airport. See the right side of this page under the top questions.

Sharing is not something that is readily available unless you arrange transportation from your resort and they have other guests they would be picking up at the same time.

Other locations in Mexico have shared transportation options but not Puerto Vallarta.

Sacramento...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

Ok....thank you very much for the fast response!:)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

Keep in mind that an airport taxi will take 3 adults plus luggage in a regular taxi, not a van, which can take 5. Maybe you can find someone in the crowd on your flight?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

It wouldn't hurt to ask the stewardess if he or she would be willing to ask over the intercom if anybody going to X hotel would be interested in splitting a taxi. And if they mention the price, it might provide just the right amount of encouragement.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

Swimvy,

Welcome to TA!

Excellent question, but as others (above) have said, it is not really a common 'modis operandi' in Puerto Vallarta, nor is it really necessary. Taxis are readily available, and rather economical as the airport itself (PVR) is located right on the main highway through town. It is literally just a few (~ 3 - 4 mins) to the beginnings of the town of PV. So unlike Acapulco or Cancun (for example), you will not need to drive 15 or so minutes to get to the outskirts of the city.

Zone rates for taxis are listed in the upper right-hand corner (FQA), and determining your zone is relatively an easy task. The rates really are quite reasonable, and you would probably spend a good deal of wasted time trying to coordinate a taxi with others, that just simply won't save you more than a few dollars (e.g. ~ $5 USD??).

Imho, you would spend more effort and time trying to coordinate a taxi with (unknown) others whom you have just met or meet in line at immigration or customs, than it is worth. Just my honest opinion.

Relax; take your own taxi, and enjoy all that Pto. Vallarta has to offer.

¡Se diviertan!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

I agree with Lonestar!!Get to your lodging ASAP

United States
Level Contributor
9,602 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

Just make sure you don't get caught up with the Timeshare Sharks in the PV airport. Walk past them and get a REAL Taxi. These Timeshare Sharks will come at you at every angle trying to entice you to talk with them..... Including offering you a free or discounted taxi ride. don't do it!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,470 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

Good advice. One added note. The taxi booths will quote you a price in US dollars, but if you pay in pesos it´s cheaper as they will only give you 10:1

Edited: 26 July 2013, 15:49
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

Transportation does not cost very much. Where are you staying?

"Funman"

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,597 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharing Airport Transportation in Puerto Vallarta

I think you have a better chance by just chatting with people on the plane you come in on, or even as you're lined up waiting at immigration, or the baggage claim area. I shared a taxi one time that way, when the couple I started chatting with turned out to be going to my same hotel.

As others are mentioning, taxis are not very expensive, so this isn't something I'd really stress much over.

suze