We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

Perth
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

Hi,

I am travelling to Puerto Vallarta 9th December - 13th December 2013 and am wondering what the best area in PV and resort would be to stay in?

As I am travelling to Mexico alone I am looking for a resort in an area that is safe and in close proximity to attractions in PV or easy access to public transportation as I will not have a car while i'm there. Also, in regards to the resort I am looking for somewhere around the 4 star range with rooms that have balconies that look over nice ocean views and cabanas on the beach.

There is soooo many different resorts to choose from so any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,383 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

I would start with these maps. Public transportation is widely available all the way around the bay, and taxis are cheap and plentiful. In terms of close proximity to things like attractions/dining/shopping/nightlife, you'll want to stay within the city then or very close to it so I'd probably take Nuevo Vallarta out of the equation.

Without knowing your budget range it's difficult to suggest specifics, and star rankings in North America aren't terribly consistent between the countries, so I'd focus more on the amenities you like instead of that. Look at the places in the hotel zone and north downtown to start, possibly the marina area too.

http://vallartainfo.com/n_downtown.html

http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html

vallartainfo.com/vallarta_marina_map.html

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,053 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

While you look around keep in mind that the most popular areas for walking, dining and shopping are the Downtown map and the South Side map, the South Side being the most popular of the two. The Marina is a good place to walk around too if you happen to stay there.

Also look at the south shore further down from the South Side map. It's a beautiful area and it's about a 20 minute ride plus or minus by bus into the South Side....but exact time depends on where you are.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

To the OP - when you use the term "resort", what sort of things are you looking for in a resort?? I would not refer to downtown hotels resorts IMO - if you are looking for a sprawling area with lots of landscaping, more than one pool - if you get my drift - then you would probably want to be in the Hotel Zone and not downtown - i think maybe you should provide more details in your "resort must haves" -

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,351 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

Best balconies (huge and very well furnished) and guaranteed ocean views, with a short hop to downtown and southside, are located at Sunset Plaza Beach, IMO.

There are obviously other nice places and lopo is correct in requesting more information (for better suggestions) but I keyed in on your word "balconies" and, believe me, I could live on one of the Sunset Plaza terraces (even without the room, but we had that also). Make sure to put it on your list.

Perth
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

Thank you all for your help :)

I've had a look at the maps and it looks like the Hotel Zone will be a nice place to stay.

@KansasPVgal where you refer to the "Southside" does this mean the South Hotel Zone?

With all of your awesome help. I have had a look on expedia and found the below at great rates:

- Secrets Vallarta Bay (All inclusive)

- Now Amber Puerto Vallarta (All inclusive)

- Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa

Do you think it is worth it to pay that bit extra and go for the all inclusive deals?

Once again thank you all very much for your help, it's very much appreciated :)

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

pschwenke : we have been vacationing in PV for over 25+ years, Sunset Plaza Beach the last 2 years... SPB is by far the best in accommodations, all ocean front rooms with the large balconies youre looking for and cabana beds on the beach tide permitting. we spend most of our days at the hotel pool or beach, with breakfast, lunch and drinks at the resort and most of our dinners in town we still find it more economical to travel all-inclusive, the hotels your considering you wont find comparable accommodations at a nonAI resort; SPB has an AI option [2 ala carte restaurants, no buffet] and is within waking distance to area restaurants and markets, but you wont be allowed to take your own food/drinks on the property outside of your room.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 03:57
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,053 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

pschwenke as you've probably noticed the maps run north to south. I meant the maps beyond the South Side map.... further south. But that was bad of me because the places down there aren't on the map, they're in my head and the maps don't go that far lol.

Mainly it was Dreams PV I was thinking of but I think it will be too expensive. You're in good shape with the 3 you've narrowed down to, and you'll be close to town.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

The Best Western has Fantastic rates right now www.bestwestern.com

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,053 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

The Best Western crossed my mind too. I agree with jmg it is something she should look at just in case. The thing that held me back from recommending it was the request for 4 star and the cabanas on the beach. Some people have said it's worn in their reviews of Intercontinental. It's so new in it's turnover from Intercontinental Presidente that it's hard to tell what is there though.

pshwende - As you saw above, BW was the former Intercontinental Presidente. It's located south of PV and isn't on a map but if you go to The outer limit map on the vallartainfo site, it's past Conchas China....so it's between Conchas China and Mismaloya. It is a gorgeous area and the beach is one of the best in PV.

The price is excellent right now and you ought to take a look if you want to save a ton of money. You could go all-inclusive and easily still eat in town when you want. This is approximately a 20 minute ride to town. The bus will stop right out front and heads to the South Side and let's everybody off at Basillo Badillo and Constitucion, then it turns around and goes to Boca de Tomatlan...about 10 minutes plus from BW and goes back to town again. It runs about every 15 minutes all day until around 10 pm. Cabs will be out front too.

Definitely worth a look, and a money savings especially if you aren't picky and can go with the flow in case it has some downsides. It's just that none of us have actually been there yet.

Here is the Intercontinental Presidente link ...this is how it was, and I didn't see the cabanas but it looks like you might be able to get an umbrella.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150793-d155710…

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area & Resort to Stay in Puerto Vallarta

Furthest south map, at this time :), is the Conchas Chinas map, which has Dreams on it.