We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Caletas

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Las Caletas

I am going to take the trip to Las Caletas in September. This is my 12th trip to PV, but the 1st to Las Caletas. The main negative comment I have read on here is that people did not know where to go when they got off the boat and found areas later in the day that they would have enjoyed . I am planning on just relaxing (I will be by myself) and swimming, not going to do any of the extra things offered. Please give me you feed back on where to head first.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Caletas

While I have enjoyed the Las Caletas trip twice, if all you want is to relax and to swim, I think you might be disappointed. I don't understand the "not knowing where to go", as they have a brochure with a map of the place and the trails all just lead into other trails and circle back. The tour is more geared toward people who want some activities to do on the excursion. If I were you, I would take a water taxi from Los Muertos or Boca de Tomatlan and go down to Las Animas or Yelapa. While I think swimming is easier in Las Animas, either place you can relax and swim and have plenty of food and drink options.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Caletas

This is my first trip to PV alone. I wanted to see something different for a change but not sure about venturing out all by myself. That is why I was looking into a tour. I will look into Las Animas though. Thank you for the info!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Caletas

I'm not dissuading you from taking a tour alone. I have done that many times and met some great people that way. In fact, my first trip to Las Caletas was alone. I found two chairs on a little cliff top overlooking the bay and put my stuff down. I did go snorkeling and wandered around the area. Las Caletas is very beautiful and I'm sure you would enjoy the locale. The lunch served is one of the better excursion meals I've had over the years. You can certainly go and just relax and swim; I just thought it was a bit pricey to "just" do those things.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Caletas

I would suggest taking the bus to Boca de Tomaltan and take a water taxi to some of the more tropical and beautiful l beaches to the south. There are several to chose from. You will find it very relaxing and the cost much less.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Caletas

There is a swim float out at Las Caletas (albeit not heavily used from what I see), so you could swim/snorkel in this area...but I kind of have to agree with PVDeb that this would be an expensive tour to just go sit on another beach to relax. You could do that much less expensively on your own to places noted.

I would suggest Las Animas, because the beach area there is good for swimming. Plus they have a couple of options of beach clubs to sit at (there is a newer one out there too, Las Animas Bay Beach Club, that looks nice).

Or if it's just rest/relaxation in a new setting you were seeking, have you thought about maybe getting a day pass at one of the resorts around the bay? If you're specifically interested in the south shore, Garza Blanca offers one and that's a lovely area.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 19:10
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Caletas

It's not a relaxing type of tour, but I think that one of the Vallarta Eats tours would be great for a single traveler. It's a small group, so you get to know the others in the group a bit. We went in May, and though most of the group were couples, there was one single woman who fit right in.

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Caletas

I can only agree with PVDEB.

If relaxing on the beach and a dip in the ocean is what you're looking for this may not be for you.

Michael

United States
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Caletas

We are going to Las Caletas in November for so many things. First, it will be a trip to explore everything there. We want to see all the activities, get familiar with where things are located etc because we will be attending a wedding there in April. (Anyone ever been to a wedding there?). I will be going with the mother of the bride in November. Some fun things we are excited to do is: explore and do the nature walk, attend a cooking class, massage on the hill, the buffet, and just plain ol' lounge on the beach. Might find the two chairs up on the hill that PVDeb used one time. <wink>.

I think it will be a very fun day. A very different day from Los Muertos Beach. I feel it will be more quiet and relaxing as well. At first I didn't know what they do there until PVDeb explained it here on TA. "Thank U Deb." I especially want to find the secluded beach (or farther up) beach on the north side to spend most of my time. :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Caletas

Thank you for all the tips and insights in to other areas that I had not even thought of going to.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Caletas

Hello Darlteri,

On the catamaran, just before you reach Las Caletas, you are given a map that shows where everything is located AND it includes a time schedule so that guests know what activities are happening when.

Immediately after arriving at Las Caletas you will have the option of taking a professional photograph to purchase later. If you don't think you'll want one of those, then I suggest that you quickly and courteously bow out and immediately continue past that area. A short distance from where they are taking the photos, guests arrive at a little outdoor seating area where there is a small beverage table, a lady making fresh corn tortillas, and a small buffet table set out so you can put together a few tacos as a little snack (this is NOT the main lunch buffet, only a snack). If you want to relax on a hammock, then you should IMMEDIATELY head all the way north down to the main beach area where they have the kayaks and SUP items set up. There are only a few hammocks available, and they are so comfortable! Otherwise, there are plenty of beach chairs for everyone.

This is just a really great place! I've been there several times, and plan to go again in the future. The beach and water there are just gorgeous. And the lunch buffet is excellent. When booking our excursions we always take advantage of their special: buy two tours and get the third one free. So that really brings down the cost. And when you take into account that most of their excursions include a really great meal in addition to drinks, we've found it to be a very good deal overall.

In May I had an unusual and awkward accident at Las Caletas falling off an SUP board while still holding tight to the paddle. I broke my pinky finger bone and completely tore the tendons when it slammed down against the board, sandwiched between the paddle and the board! I should have released the paddle when falling instead of gripping it even tighter. Oh well (sigh). Even then, with my finger all wrapped up in a ridiculously huge make-shift splint, I still had a wonderful time at Las Caletas. On vacation things happen, and I try to just go with the flow, focusing instead on all the incredible things life has to offer. I will be back there again in a few weeks, but this time with a bent pinky! LOL

Whatever excursions you decide to do, have a marvelous time! :-)

- BeachOceanSun