We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help deciding !

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
946 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Need help deciding !

Not sure whether to stay at Friendly in town or Riu Vallarta has anyone stayed at both? How is the food? How is the beach ? What are your preferences?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help deciding !

I think your big decision should be whether you want to be in town or not. The Friendly is right in town with not a great beach (they really aren't in town). The RV is in Nuevo and is about 45mins. by cab or an hour by bus from town on a wonderful beach. They will also have more food options and better quality IMO. You can also use the facilities of the Riu Jalisco as well to give you even more options. You can walk to the little town of Bucerias to the north (which we love for a day out for shopping in their market and great beach front restaurants) or we go to PV a couple time a week by the bus as it is very easy and cheap. We go into walk the malecon, look around, go for a nice meal, etc.

However, if you want to be able to walk around town every day, you would probably want to trade in the other things to be right there and stay at the Friendly. Really comes down to which location you want I think.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help deciding !

U cant go wrong with Marrieds adivice!!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help deciding !

Hello DJPoco,

I have never stayed at the Friendly, so I cannot comment or advise on this hotel. But I'm sure that other TA members who have stayed there will be able to give your their recommendations.

But as our family has stayed many, many times at the Riu resorts in Nuevo Vallarta, I can give you my opinion on this specific resort chain. The buffet food was always excellent, the pools are large and wonderful, there are lively activities going on during the day down at the pool areas, and there are various evening shows depending on the day of the week. The beautiful wide beach in Nuevo Vallarta is 8 km long, which is simply heavenly for running, taking long walks, or just relaxing and tanning on a beach chair. In my opinion, the Riu Palace Pacifico has the most flavorful drinks over both the Riu Vallarta and the Riu Jalisco (which is closed right now for remodeling, and hopes to re-open by November). We love their Banana Mamas, which are basically a pina coloda with grenadine and bananas added in. The only thing we did not like was having to get up super early in order to go downstairs and make a reservation at their specialty restaurants; that was not great at all - especially for my husband who would volunteer to get up, quickly shave and run downstairs to line up for a reservation. But that inconvenience aside, before purchasing our condo, our family really enjoyed our stays at the Riu resorts. It was a real treat, and we had many fun vacations there. :-)

Have a wonderful trip!

- BeachOceanSun

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help deciding !

According to the ongoing thread below and what JNS has said in the past, the beach at Friendly is apparently considered quite good by Pacific coast or PV standards.....so I wouldn't rule it out completely because of the beach or because Nuevo's might be better, unless the beach is a major important item to you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k67315…

Edited: 05 August 2013, 23:08
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help deciding !

There are so many questions to be answered before making a choice I feel......has the OP been to PV before? do they want AI or not? are they traveling with kids? do they want to be in town every night or do they want to spend most or their time at the resort....There are so many more options (unless they have already examined all other options and are left with the two they mentioned). Budget?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help deciding !

Jo2310 ... what you said .. and so much better than I would have!! :-)

"Specifics" are always helpful to the cause .. the more the better to be able to assist!!

edit to add: to the OP, what are 'your' particular preferences?

Edited: 05 August 2013, 23:27
Seattle
Level Contributor
43,225 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help deciding !

I would never stay all the way out at RIU because I love being *in* town. That may or may not be true for you.

suze

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help deciding !

Thanks Johnny not too bad for a Frenchie hey! Jeez I can't wait to get to PV in February!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help deciding !

I have to disagree. The Friendly is right next door to the Fiesta Americana. They have a great beach there. You can walk the beach north all the way to the Krystal and have a cold one for the way back. Also you can walk the beach a good distance to the south also. And the Friendly is not in town, it's in the Hotel Zone, about a 50 peso cab ride to downtown Puerto Vallarta. I will say that the beach out in Miami Beach, oops, I meant Nuevo Vallarta is a little nicer. I just happen to an ex Hotel Zone person that was transplanted to the south side over 10 years ago. We do venture back to see some of the friends we made years ago. The south side lets you walk to almost everything. And a great variety of restaurants. No matter where you decide to stay, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help deciding !

Djpoco how long are you staying?We stay 3 weeks and split the trip between the 2 places.Love them both!!!!!