We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

We are going to Royal Decameron Resort outside Puerto Vallarta at the end of this month and are thinking of taking some small hand outs for resort staff. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what would be the best to take and hand out, We're thinking of shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

Money in pesos is best. :)

Danvers...
Level Contributor
901 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

Good tips are great but I also found that the ladies love products from Body and Bath.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

I know that JR's response to questions like these is always - "Give money - best thing to give" - JR - i think that people probably do give money but also like to give little trinkets or something - it's giving something personal - lots of people give money - we do it all the time - but we also like to bring down little things like "I Heart NY" trinkets - key chain, pens, Tshirts - and i find that those we give the trinkets to seem to remember us better than people that we just give money to -

United States
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

I agree with JR on the pesos and I also agree with river view on the ladies like foo foo smelly pretty things and make-up. But sometimes those types of things are a personal taste......

(There's that foo foo word again!)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

I'm sure you don't mean to offend but I wouldn't want somebody to give me a toothbrush, shampoo or soap or anything like that....would make me think I'm lacking in the cleanliness dept. LOL.

Cash is king, but you could give them a little token gift with it....something not available in Mexico, yet unique...a special individually wrapped sweet always brightens everyone's day. But, cash is what they need and will definitely appreciate.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

Lots of nice foo foo

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

I only tip in cash. I personally don't think the little gifts (especially something like soap or a toothbrush!) are appropriate.

I'm not against souveniers from your own hometown. My Space Needle/Seattle bic lighters were a big hit with waiters/bartenders one year.

suze

Edited: 06 August 2013, 18:40
Riverside, Missouri
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

What would you give the people at a resort in Canada? The people in Mexico are no different than the people anywhere else.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

Again, JR is correct. Last time I was in a tienda, I didn't see rice or beans listed at 2 trinkets per kilo. Pesos go a long way.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recommended small gifts for a Mexican resort staff ?

I (hope) the original poster meant in addition to $$. I was just out shopping yesterday for some little gifts as well. Yes we tip in pesos, but since we have been going to the same place for awhile now, we have gotten to know some of the staff quite well and like to bring them little things. San Diego Padres or Chargers hats or tshirts for instance. Bath and body works stuff I have given before as well.We have also gone to the local PV starbucks and purchased a gift card to give - who doesn't like Starbucks? LOL.