We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Save Topic
Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Hello all. My girlfriend and I are going to Secrets next Sat. Just wanted to ask for the advice of the good people here on where two ladies in their forties can go for fun when sun sets. Safety is of utmost concern since it's just the two of us. We don't want "spring break" type college crowd. It doesn't necessarily have to be a club. It can also be a nice bar to mingle with people.

Also wouldn't mind suggestions for daytime activities either. My friend is more of a hiking/exploring type and I'm more of a metropolitan/shopping type but we always got along and don't mind doing a little bit of both. This is the first Puerto Vallarta/international trip we're taking together and it's a bit nerve racking.

I was so bummed out about the weather forecast but relieved to hear it's not very reliable. I love short bouts of shower but want to lay by the pool to get some Sun too. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Apache's on Olas Altas in the southside (south of the Cuale River) is a great place to hang out for happy hour and late into the evening. Extremely safe (except for the strong drinks) and loads of fun. And you'll meet great people there, too. My partner and I have been going there most nights for happy hour when we are in town for over 10 years now and have made some great friends there. And then there's Andale's next door which can be a real hoot later in the evening. No matter what you're going to have a great time. I'm jealous, as we have 75 days until we return to PV.

Mentioned in this post
Olas Altas
Olas Altas
444 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Sayulita, a hippy-ish surfing town located about an hour north of PV and easily accessible by bus, might be a good day-trip destination for the two of you, since it offers activities that include surfing (beginner lessons, board rentals) and stand-up paddleboarding, as well as plenty of opportunity for shopping in crafty places. The trip is a perfectly safe thing to do, and provides a glimpse of the variety available in the Vallarta area.

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Puerto Vallarta is a great walking town so it fits well into the exploring/hiking town. Some of the hills and steps are a real hike. You can shop at the same time because shops are scattered all over PV.

For a bar to mingle and talk I recommend The Twisted Palm....if it's open right now. It's a U shaped bar and everybody talks, nice place for two ladies to feel comfortable too.

Langostino's and Cuates y Cuetes (beachy bars/restaurants) right next to each other on Los Muertos Beach next to the pier, take turns having live music.....sometimes people dance depending on the music, but it's a nice place to watch the sunset too.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Cuates y Cuetes
Cuates y Cuetes
517 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Since the question is "dance the night away..." Sayulita or Apaches won't fit the bill.

Safety is of no concern in Puerto Vallarta, never has been.

A few places come to mind,

On the Malecón, La bodeguita del Medio, on the corner of Allende, Live Music, Cuban, Salsa & Merengue.

on the South Side, The Roxy, on I. Vallarta, Classic R&R, Live Music

Andeles, on Olas Altas, 50s 60s recorded music.

All of them don't get going till after 11pm.

Mentioned in this post
Olas Altas
Olas Altas
444 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,042 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

You don't need to be so concerned about personal safety. I've traveled to Vallarta for many years, most often solo/female and never once had a negative experience. Just use common sense, don't get too drunk, etc. It is really not an issue.

For both shopping and restaurants I recommend going to the south-side. Start at the corner of B. Badillo and I. Vallarta and go from there (in any direction).

My night spot favorite for live music is Nacho Daddy's but I read here they're moving location so not a recommendation at the moment. The River Cafe is more quiet atmosphere but a lovely place to have drinks after dinner often with a live music duo. Any of the beach bars on Los Muertos (beach) are nice, sometimes some with music (La Palapa, Lagostino's, CyC's etc.)

suze

Edited: 08 August 2013, 18:01
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
La Palapa Restaurant
La Palapa Restaurant
5,436 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Nacho Daddy is what came to mind, Suze. It was a very welcoming place. I like CyC and I love Langostinos. Unfortunately, the music at the latter isn't very good. However, the staff, food and atmosphere make up for the insipid music.

I surprised that JR didn't mention this-something fun is always going on at Que Pasa. They often have live music and someone (hi Carol!) is usually dancing.

Mentioned in this post
Langostinos
Langostinos
574 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Natcho Daddy's closed on saturday july 27th and will re-open sometime in october right next to Memo's pancake house.

The closing party was pretty good but ended up at 10:00 PM which was a surprise under the circumstances.

Mentioned in this post
Memo's Pancake House
Memo's Pancake House
589 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Carol at Que?Pasa dances even without music, she's working there now and dancing all over the place. Best night for dancing there is Friday night, Saturday is more Mexican Folk right now.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Here's Carol and I a couple of weeks ago at Q?P

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphot…

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun and SAFE spots to dance the night away...

Wow, Carol had a face when I was there a couple weeks ago...what happened?:-))

"if you keep on dancin' you'll never grow old"