We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advise for the elderly?

Caldwell, Idaho
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any advise for the elderly?

We are in our early 80's--in pretty good shape. Wonder what we should do for fun on our shore time from a cruise.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

what are your interests? do you like to walk? and how much time do you have?

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

Depends where you are docking, Im assuming PV, The mall is across the street from docks, some nice stores, high priced, but if your up for an adventure(low impact) Zip lining is really fun. Some might say that 80's is to old for it but Vallarta Adventures has a really nice low impact/speed one. I have a bad shoulder and asthma and I was able to do it with no problems. Its an all day thing so I guess if you want more suggestions then the TA community is going to need more information on where and how long you have in port. either way its fun what ever you do,

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,789 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

And what month? .

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

If you have never been to P'V and are in good shape as you mentioned I would suggest walking the town. There is so much to see and do. Start in Old Town, Malecon, Art galleries, Shops, have lunch at one of the many great restaurants, walk along Los Muertos Beach go on the Pier. What ever you choose to do I know you

will have a great time.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

I've known older than you do the Los Veranos Canopy Tour. Otherwise on the limited time of a cruise, I would head downtown and wander around :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,551 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

I have no affiliation with Superior Tours (I promise), but they are a good, reputable company. I always find if I don´t know much about a city or an área, an organized tour is a good place to start. You only have a few hours.

They will customize according to your interests.

http://superiortoursvallarta.com/

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

If your time is limited, I'd suggest taking a taxi or bus down to the Hotel Rosita, then leisurely strolling south from there. It's a beautiful seaside walk, lots of shops and restaurants, always something going on. The sculptures along the Malecon are unique and thought-provoking, and the sand sculptures are amazing. Walk all the way down to the pier, or beyond, if time allows. Then catch a taxi back to the ship.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 15:58
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

Travalingal,

Welcome to TA!

As your time is limited (due to arriving on a cruise ship in port), I'd take a taxi from the port to the South Side. In particular, tell the driver that you want to go to hotel Playa Los Arcos, which is smack dab in the middle of the South side.

From here you can take your time strolling the area to get a good feel for the vibe of Pto. Vallarta. Just as an FYI, the mountains will be to the East, and the bay (water) is to the West. Your cruise ship will be in the port, which is to the North from where the taxi drops you off.

Walk along the Malecon (boardwalk) which has recently been redone to the North, back towards your cruise ship. There are many little shops, restaurants, and places to just sit for a bit (both benches and watering holes) as you stroll the Malecon. Pto. Vallarta is known for its many bronze statues along the Malecon (boardwalk) and would make a great addition to your picture album of memories from your cruise and your time in Pto. Vallarta.

If you find you have tired or time begins to run short, you are just a very short taxi ride back to the cruise ship terminal. Make sure you agree on the taxi rate before you get into the cab. For some helpful advice on taxi rates (which are quite reasonable by the way), make sure to check the frequently asked questions topics in the upper right-hand column on this page.

You will find Pto. Vallarta to be a very welcoming and friendly town, which is quite safe for the traveler. You do not need to speak Spanish, but any words that you do know and use appropriately will be appreciated by the locals. As the Malecon has recently be redone, you will find it also very user friendly and a pleasant walk along the shore while still maintaining the charm of Pto. Vallarta.

Most importantly; have fun! ¡Se diviertan!

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

I also would just get yourself a map of downtown, take a taxi there, and get out and poke around for the day. There's plenty to see and do. Then taxi back when it's time to get back on the ship. Do get away from the cruiseship dock area, that's not the nicest part of town.

suze

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advise for the elderly?

Good maps of the town on Vallartainfo.com