We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

SF
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

We will be stay at Dreams Puerto Vallarta in December with our son, who will be 13 months at the time. Any advice for activities/outings that would be doable with a 1-year-old and that he would enjoy? Most of the tours/activities that I'm seeing don't seem toddler-friendly. Also, if anyone has tips for staying at Dreams specifically, we'd appreciate it (what kind of amenities they offer for kids, etc.). Thanks in advance!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

The kids club is only for 3 and up, so there aren't activities for one year olds. I would bring a floatie for the pool for a little one. Also, a lighter stroller would be better since there is no ramp or elevator down to the pool/beach/buffet restaurant area from the lobby. Also one that folds up smaller is better for taking the bus as well.

We travel with our little ones and we don't haul too much stuff, we buy all our diapers, wipes and formula there in town. Don't be afraid to ask the wait staff if you need anything as they are great with kids and really seem to enjoy them. If you want milk for your room, ask for a carton and keep it in your mini fridge. Sand toys are very inexpensive in town as well, so no need to haul those.

Enjoy:)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

Bring a stroller because there are some good sidewalks now for strollers. You can walk on the Malecon in the evenings and there will be vendors selling balloons, lighted kid toys, and street performers. I know your child is young but these can catch their eye. Sunday evening is the best time, but nowadays most evenings have a little something going on.

Below is a map of the south side. The last stop is at Constitucion and Basilio Badillo. Get off here and take a left on Basilio B. (nice sidewalk) Then take a right on Olas Atlas ( again nice sidewalk) and follow it onto the downtown map. The blue line next to the ocean is the Malecon and you can walk a long ways. You will also see the park I mentioned on your way on Olas Atlas. Basilio Badillo is a great place to shop! I say bus because to me it is safer than a cab since you won't have a car seat.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

You can walk all over the south side and downtown and never run out of interesting streets. The streets are cobblestone and the sidewalks can be uneven and all manner of things. My kids used their stroller everywhere and said as long as it had good swivel wheels.....no problem. They lifted it over curbs etc. and didn't avoid anywhere because of the sidewalks. Some people say it's too hard....but not for my son and daughter-in-law. On some streets that aren't busy they simply walked at the edge of the street instead of on the sidewalk.

If you're interested in the zoo....you'll enjoy it, your 1 yr. old may not get how great it is but you will enjoy it very much. Very unique because you can feed all the animals except the big cats. A stroller will work here but at the end you will probably want to carry your child since the exit is steep. The zoo is south of Dreams and with your little one you'll probably want a cab, or you can ride the bus to the Mismaloya stop (15 min.) and catch one of the waiting cabs to the zoo, which is only 7 minutes or so more minutes.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 19:56
Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

If the big cats at the Zoo are being active, that is to say having a discussion, you might find that the roaring might scare a little one. It certainly sent a chill down my spine 2 weeks ago.

Just a thought.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

Just hearing it within the zoo, I would be surprised if a 1 year old would know what it is. Now, must say I've never had the pleasure of standing right in front of them and seeing them roar LOL, I'm always elsewhere in the Zoo. I have often thought about what it must be like to live in the village there and hear them during the night. :-O

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

It was loud enough that the concrete was vibrating some distance from their enclosures.

It also had the bear quite upset. By the way it seems to be a new bear since february. I know that the previous one was getting along in years. This new fellow is fat and glossy, or was 2 weeks ago.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

One sure fire entertainment for a 1 year old? The beach. Bring, or buy when you arrive, a bag of plastic beach toys - be sure to include a bucket and shovel.

I have to say that lots of toddlers around the age of yours that I see in PV, one thing almost all of them have in common is their delight and fascination with just playing and digging in the sand, and watching the surf roll in and out (or being taken in/out of the surf by their parents - lots of squealing and giggling). Between that and the pool they'll have lots of "free" entertainment without having to go on or plan a bunch of tours, and be close enough to the room and any amenities for when they get tired, hungry, had too much sun, etc.

Keep this in mind in addition to heading out to the Malecon.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 21:48
chicago
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

I'm pretty confused again. why are you bringing a 13 month old on a vacation to Mexico. There is absolutely nothing for the kid to do.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

Bring the kid and enjoy. I would much rather watch my child in Mexico than at home! We brought our son at 1 the first time and he played on the steps of the pool for hours and we would get some time to relax because he would take a long nap every afternoon under a palapa. They get worn out playing in the pool/beach.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

Huh Whitesox? Children accompanying parents on vacations is nobody else's business. Our children always went with us on vacation, no matter the age. I don't feel the need to give an explanation as to why I brought them, and I hope caraling doesn't feel that need to explain either.

Caraling - families are highly respected in Mexico, family is everything.....so you can dine anywhere you want to in town and you'll be welcomed...often you get better service LOL. One time we were in a bar/restaurant on the Malecon around 10 pm and there was a live band playing. A young Mexican couple was at the next table for a long time. They had a blanket or something on the table and I didn't notice what it was.....well it turned out to be their 2 week old baby in that blanket. They were out having a nice time listening to live music, and nobody thought a thing about it. So no worries...the Mexican's are on your side.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Dreams PV with a 1-year-old

We have been brining our kids since they were each 5 months old. We love being able to enjoy our holidays with them and they are now 10,8 and 2 and one on the way and we will be with them in Mexico in about 6 weeks. They have loved every trip, even when they were young. Some of my favorite holiday memories are with them there, so I say go, enjoy and have a wonderful family vacation:)