We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iphone question

vancouver
Level Contributor
390 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Iphone question

Perhaps this has been asked before, but could not find a discussion. I have a locked iphone, so I don't imagine I could use any Mexican sim card unless I unlock the iphone. Has anyone here had their iphone unlocked in PV? If so, was it a good job and what was the cost? Thanks.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iphone question

Not sure of the cost but I know Roberto unlocks iPhones at Celular Speed, Insurgentes #161, on the south side under the Belmar Hotel, he speaks good English and is extremely helpful.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iphone question

I was just looking into it for my phone and it's only about $35 to get it done from your provider here (Telus and Rogers were the ones we were with) and then if anything should happen or something doesn't work for some reason, it's still covered under warranty. If you get it done there and it all doesn't go right, you are hooped for help when you get back. Also, depending on when you're going the new law in Canada will be coming in soon (not exactly sure of the date) that your provider must unlock it for you for a small fee.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iphone question

Several years ago I bought a 200 peso Telcel card from Roberto, and he didn't charge anything me to unlock my old Razr, I still use that phone when we're in PV. Which reminds me I need JR to load 100 pesos on it for me.

4. Re: Iphone question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 00:05
SoCal
Level Contributor
9,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iphone question

Sent you an email. Thanks !

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,226 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iphone question

Personally I would have it unlocked at home before your trip....why waste time on that on vacation and should something go wrong, then you could be without phone. I have an unlocked iphone I use here in Mexico all the time with pre-pay as you would do..had it unlocked in USA before bringing it to Mexico..

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iphone question

The cell providers I've had will only unlock your phone after the contact is completed, maybe it's different in Canada.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iphone question

We're getting new laws in Canada that take effect soon and some of the providers have already been doing this (Telus being one of them) for a while that they will unlock before the contract is up. Soon they will have to by law.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,226 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iphone question

Teduardo , I think u maybe correct onthat but there are any others who will unlock phone, not just providors and not very costly...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iphone question

Still cheaper to unlock here :)