We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good family resort

Hershey...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Good family resort

I'm heading to puerto vallarta in January with ,my 5 year old and infant. What would be a good resort? I prefer big resorts with lots of amenities. Doesn't have to be an all inclusive but I would prefer one. Thanks guys

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,366 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good family resort

The Melia in the marina area is a mid-sized AI resort with plenty of kids activities and very popular with families, the Crown Paradise Club is a smaller AI hotel with a huge water park; Sunset Plaza Beach has lots of amenities,smaller kids club with an AI option, Dreams and Now Amber also on the same scale with kids clubs and AI only.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 13:02
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good family resort

If you don't mind staying in Nuevo Vallarta (about 45mins. north of town) with great beaches, then there are lots of resorts that are great for families. The Riu Jalisco will be fully renovated by Nov., the Riu Vallarta will give you access to it and the Riu Jalisco and the Riu Palace gives you all 3. They are great family resorts. Also, the Dreams Villamagna and the Grand Marival are both good family options.

\As JNS said, the Melia is very popular with families with a great kids club. I have stayed at the Crown Paradise and while my kids loved the pirate pool, I would not return. The rooms and food were not great IMO and it just wasn't my thing:)

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good family resort

Dreams has a great location and only a 5 min. bus or taxi ride to town. They also have a kids club for ages of 3 to 12. Here is their web site:http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drepv/

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good family resort

The thing that I didn't like about Dreams for people with very little ones is that there is no elevator or ramp for strollers, so you have to carry your stroller down 12 - 15 stairs from the lobby to the pool, beach and buffet area and it's not stroller friendly to the kids club, so one of us would stay with the stroller and little one and the other to take the older two to the club. Then same thing back up to the lobby and towers, carrying the stroller. Not handy IMO.

They do have a great kids club though.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 15:43
Alberta Beach...
Level Contributor
134 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good family resort

We are staying at The Melia for a second time this Nov. They have a great zero entry pool, great playground, and a baby club. 4 different room categories to choose from, and only 10 mins. from the airport:)

Alberta
Level Contributor
325 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good family resort

I have personally stayed crown paradise with my young family and they loved the waterpark. Food was good, not great. Older resort, but like I said kids loved it. Another option if you stay in nuevo is Marival. They have a water park. I prefer nuevo, it is quieter with a nice beach and fewer vendors. We stayed at dreams next door, but I toured marival out of curiosity. There was also a turtle release down the beach for five bucks that my kids loved.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good family resort

At the Melia,

A 5 year old will have a blast at the Melia.

Activities here include Playground, climbing wall, camping at hotel, mini disco. Even teens ages 13 to 16 have their own club and special daily activities program including climbing wall (areas for both little and big kids), batting cages, archery, rifle range, tennis clinics, cyber-cafe and video arcade. The Melia Puerto Vallarta has a wonderful entertainment team. Here your family will find organized activities like non-motorized water sportsts, games, contests, teen discos...you name it. There are

plenty of age appropriate activities as well as plenty of "stuff" that families will enjoy doing together.

They also have sitters that will come to your room and watch the kids if you want to stay out and party. They charge for the sitter.

We stayed there 4 years in a row.

There is entertainment for all other ages too. Including adults.

"Funman"

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good family resort

The Melia is great for kids in my opinion.

On a better scale in same area though would be Velas Vallarta, very family friendly, stroller friendly, and awesome food and pools, beach etc...larger rooms as well...

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good family resort

The Melia takes care of kids down to the age of 4 months and has kids clubs that cater the 5 year old. with something new to do throughout the day.

Meliá Puerto Vallarta is a family friendly hotel offering baby-sitting services led by trained and certified baby sitters. The beloved, classic cartoon family, The Flintstones serves as brand ambassadors making regular appearances. Kids activities include arts and crafts, billiards, Ping-Pong, foosball, arcade games, and more.

It is a smoke free facility, so if you guys have a smoker in the group you might not want to go here.

"Funman"

Edited: 21 August 2013, 01:06
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good family resort

i took my son to crown paradise club and we really enjoyed it, it is a smaller not fancy place but the kids pool is a lot of fun! The rooms are basic but we loved having a family room with his own sleeping area. The way they cater to kids is nice, those yummy drinks with fun names was a nice hit. no limit to a la cartes was huge plus free room service was very nice! This year we are taking him to canto del sol. I do miss my larger resort that are fancy so maybe next year will be dreams or riu