We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
340 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

We are family of 7 looking to travel in Dec. 2014. The 5 "kids" ages are between 19-27. We've done the Marival A-I, and a full-service house in Conchas Chinas. This trip we are looking for a different kind of trip-- local in the heart of town, an authentic PVR feel, walking distance to Los Muertos and a pool. Cook our own food, or take in local fare. Breakfast is our favorite.

I'm thinking Posada de Roger exactly fits this profile.

Which rooms should we try to book? My husband and I would like our own, but which rooms would accommodate 5 kids that actually get along!!

A few questions:

Where is the closest grocery store?

Will the communal kitchen accommodate us for lunch, or will our group size impose upon others?

Will the pool area accommodate our group, or will we "take over" the space?

Any other concerns our group should consider?

Would a different property be better suited---looking to keep the price down since airfare is waaay up.

Any help is appreciated!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

Let's see. The closest actual "grocery store" these days is Ley's up in downtown/south Hotel Zone. but there are plenty of place to shop on the south-side that can take care of groceries... central market, Guadalajara pharmacia, Los Mercados, fruit & vegetable tiendas, OXXO, etc.

Don't count on the communal kitchen OR at least specifically ask the hotel about this. It has never once been open when I stayed there (I wasn't planning on using it, but I'm talking at least a dozen stays at the hotel).

Your group will pretty much take over the pool area, there's maybe 9 loungers there. But there's also the rooftop sundeck that would hold easily another dozen people (and is a great place to eat take-out food).

Room #300 is a good one for 5 people, if they can all manage with 1 bathroom. It's top floor, facing Badilo with 2 small balconies and a bunch of beds. I'd probably try to talk you into getting 3 rooms, so you'd have 3 bathrooms for 7 people.

All that said, and no one loves Posada Roger more than I do, for the price you spend on 2-3 rooms in high season you could probably rent an apartment.

suze

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

vallartamexico.com/VallartaMexico/Home_Page_…

Like this one, I stayed one year in both Casa Grande (3 bedroom) and Courtyard (5 bedroom)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

Suze2you, thanks. Looks lovely!! Does it have a pool?

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

No pool (and it's quite a ways further in from the beach than Roger's)... mostly it came to mind because of so many bedrooms at a low price.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 22:03
Seattle
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

Again nothing wrong with piling into a couple rooms at Roger's as long as you understand it's a budget basic hotel. And don't count on using that rooftop kitchen. They do have mini-frigs available for a small daily charge that would help with food/beverages.

If in addition to #300 (for the 5 "kids") you were able to get #315 - which is a really nice airy double room that opens directly onto the rooftop terrace/sundeck, you could pretty much take over that patio and give your group some extra outdoor space that way too.

suze

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

Hmmm... the lack of use of the kitchen could be a deal breaker... we don't mind piling in room(s) and taking turns on the lounger, or walking down from the sun deck to the pool area... Even at Casa Carole we only had 4 loungers and 2 chairs.

We do understand that it is a basic property, that is very attractive.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

Please do ask the current status of kitchen because I really have no idea. As I first mentioned, in a dozen+ stays there over the years, at all different months, I have never actually seen it open myself. Hopefully if anyone else here knowsfor sure, they will chime in.

Another idea is there are a few new-er built rooms up on the roof level and one of those has its own kitchenette. I'm not sure how they are numbered, whether they are called 400+ or 'penthouse' or what. If you got those rooms, including one w/ the kitchen, might work.

suze

Edited: 27 August 2013, 00:03
Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

I am a regular there and I have seen the kitchen used a couple of times, for large family groups. I would suggest that you contact P de R through their website and ask right away - they are very responsive to questions. I usually contact them before I go to ask for a particular room or something, and they e-mail back immediately.

I love that property, and you cannot beat the location!

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

I have put many people up in the P de R. Kitchen was working Nov 2011, mar 2012 they were having pot luck suppers there all month, 15/20 people. We never used it in 2013 as we had 3 condos in Marina.

I don't think 7 people will overcrowded the pool/sun decks if you are courteous to other patrons.

They have 2 family rooms on the top floor. I know one of these has a small kitchen & a personal lounge area with loungers, table etc.

I think the P de R would be a great fit for you.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,214 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions for the Posada de Roger Experts

When you contact them, tell them you're a large family group and mention the larger rooms on the 3rd floor.

315 has 3 beds - 2 doubles and a twin/daybed - that I know for sure. It's large and bright with windows on 3 sides and a vaulted ceiling (the 3rd floor rooms all have the vaulted ceiling which also helps with the illusion of a larger space), but still only one bathroom for the kids to share. That might be a bit much, I don't know.

The pool deck should accommodate you fine, but as noted courtesy to other guests if you're all there together would be great as the pool isn't huge - that and many of the rooms on the second level have doors/windows that face the pool deck.