We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

Has anyone ever used a local sim card for voice and data in PVR? If so, does anyone have a preference between IUSACELL or TELCEL? Also what is the cost and is there a location near the zone? I will be taking my Verizon galaxy s3 and will be needing data (hotspot).

Dont wanna pay for the data roaming charges.

Heading to the Zona this weekend.

Thanks in advance....

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

If you provide some correct info we might be able to help you.

So far it appears you are looking to use your phone in a zone or zona? Inside the airport ( PVR ) for the weekend.

Have I got it correct.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

They may mean the Hotel Zone, Ian ? If so go to the Telcel office across the road from the Sheraton Hotel.

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

Yes I'm looking to use data at my hotel in the zona romantica. I know the WiFi will not be strong enough. I would like to use the hotspot feature on telcel or iusacell.

Thanks

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

Are you back at Casa Dona Suzanna again?

I think you will find MANY free connections for WiFi in the romantic zone. Internet has improved vastly in the last 2/3 years.

However, if you want to use your phone for voice/data I would only go with Telcel.

FIRST though your phone must be sim unlocked so you can use telcel sim card. If it is you can purchase a sim card at telcel office for 150 pesos & last winter I was paying 399 pesos for 1 month/6 gig data.

Hotspot is not a feature of telcel it is a feature of you phone & I am not sure your Galaxy s3 has it ?

I am sure someone else will advise. If it does have it, switching it on will allow you to connect your computer to the internet through your cell phone.

This is the last option I would use due to cost & as stated in old town there is free WiFi everywhere.

In some cases you might have to buy a beer to get the access code but once you have it you are good for a month or more.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

OK wrong zone, see how it's important to give us enough info?

Go see Roberto at Celular Speed, Insurgentes #1661, next to the Belmar Hotel entrance, he will fix you up, perfect English and he really knows his stuff.

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

Thanks everyone for the replies, this is very helpful.

Calgary
Level Contributor
631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

i'm planning to do the same thing soon. I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience in getting data plans with lusacell and what the internet speeds were .Thank you in advance !

san diego
Level Contributor
439 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

I use a telcel sim on my iphone 5s inPVR. Works great. Telcel allows the hotspot feature on the phone.

Not sure where the telcel office is tho in PVR. I got mind in Mexicalli. I seem to remember reading here that the office might be across the street of the Sheraton. That's just a guess tho.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 15:59
Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

I usually use the Telcel office in Gallerias Mall (Liverpool) but if you are over in the south side Robert next door to hotel Belmar might be better for you.

His store has changed name now ? JR will need to chime in with new name?

huntingdon valley PA
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local Sim Cards (voice and data) Telcel or IUSACELL

JR's friend, Unlock Vallarta, Insurgentes #161, at Hotel Belmar. I took my unlocked 4S, got a Telcel SIM. 100 pesos, OXXO to load. 200 pesos for voice, cellular and data.

A new 4S sells for about 110,000 pesos at Sam's.