We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

Northern California
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

Many new and remodeled since I last went AI in PV, would like to know/hear what the latest is. About us: We are an early 50's couple wanting R&R, good food, good drinks. Night life at the resort is not important, can go into town for that. We prefer PV over Nuevo Vallarta. Doing 8 nights in early November. Air is booked. We want value, but we understand that the quality of food & drinks is important and costs more for quality. Love the swim-up bars, but not mandatory.

In the past have been to Dreams PV (4 times), Dreams Villamagna (once), Marival, Grand Velas (twice), RDC in Bucerias, and the Barcelo Mismaloya. Trying to budget it under Dreams/Grand Velas prices; again, prefer PV, whether downtown or Marina or whatever. Looking right now at the new Hilton PV Resort (have a very good price on that through a promo) as well as Sunset Plaza Beach Resort.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

You could also try the Villa Premier (sister resort to the Buenaventura and you can use the facilities at both. I have not stayed at the Sunset, I've only heard wonderful things:) Also out by Dreams PV is the Best Western which used to be the Presidente Intercontinental. Beautiful location and they are having some really good introductory fares right now. Now Amber/Secrets is new in PV, but in the price range of Dreams/Velas, so may be too pricey unless you find a great deal.

Enjoy:)

Northern California
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

Thanks. didn't know about the Best Western.

I'm very curious about the Hilton, was wondering if anyone on the forum has been.........

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,443 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

We haven't stayed at the Hilton, but this will be our 3rd return trip to Sunset Plaza... IMO the best, luxury accommodations in the area, even their 1 bedroom master suite is priced lower than standard accommodations at other higher end resorts and includes a kitchen, bath w/shower, dining/living area w/flat screen tv, master bedroom suite w/Jacuzzi and a second flat screen tv, private toilet area, double sinks, and second walkin shower and all rooms are direct ocean views with large balconies; good food and drinks, with 3 ala carte (no buffet) restaurants... the main restaurant El Mirador is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and offesr 3 rotating menus (Mexican, Italian & Bistro) for dinner during the week, Lucianos Italian restaurant and a new Japanese restaurant that doubles as a deli for lunch; the main endless pool has a swimup bar and plunge pool on the lower level and there is an ocean front adults only pool as well as 3 adults only Jacuzzis on the 2nd level above the main restaurant. The hotel itself is pretty quiet with no nightlife or entertainment during the week other than Mariachis on select nights that the Mexican menu is offered, possibly a small 3 piece band in the lobby bar or if there should be a soccer game on. The beach is very small and swimmable but nothing compared to the beaches in Nuevo or at Dreams.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 03:53
great neck, Ny
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

Garza Blanca.....

new york
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

Garza Blanca looks wonderful but is pricey for their all inclusive. I don't think it's worth it considering the cost of restaurant food in PV. And their restaurants get mixed reviews on TA.

I would try the Sunset Plaza, based on the great reviews that it gets and based on JNS' recommendations.

Or, I would try Secrets Vallarta Bay.

I got a great deal on a Preferred room at Secrets for 5 nights on Luxury Link. You "bid" on your room on Luxury Link. Typically it's for a 3 night stay however, if you call them, they will extend that stay for you to however many nights you need. Don't bid first. Get on their website, get their number and call them.

I got a 5 night stay for November in the Preferred tower for $1,196.00 for 2 people, all inclusive, taxes included. That's $120 per person, per night. You can't beat that anywhere. I've used Luxury Link before to stay at Secrets in June and I loved it. By the way, Luxury Link also has Garza Blanca listed. I'm not sure if it's for all inclusive or not.

I wouldn't consider the Hilton based on their mixed reviews on service and food. JMO.

Northern California
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

Thanks!! Sunset Plaza looks like a winner. Do you stay in a Suite? Are the standard ocean view rooms as nice, just smaller? I'm going to look at prices today......what company do you book Sunset Plaza through for the best price?

new york
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

I have not stayed at the Sunset Plaza yet. Based on the above post by JNS, he stays in the 1 bedroom. The regular rooms look very nice as well but I personally would pay a little more for the 1 bedroom for the large balcony and the space.

Since I have never stayed at the Sunset, I wouldn't know who has the best prices. But I can tell you where I would look.

I would try Liberty Travel, Bookit, Cheapcarribean, Room77 and Expedia. I would also price it at Mexvax.com. I wouldn't buy from Mexvax, just price the room you want. Liberty Travel will match the prices you see on the Mexvax website. I would also take a look at the price on Sunset's website for a comparison.

Good luck.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,443 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

We have stayed in the 1 bedroom master suite each time, at only $150 more per person for the week its definitely worth it for the extra space and amenities; the standard deluxe rooms are also nice, about 1/3 the size, 2 queen beds, mini bar/fridge, bath with walkin shower. All rooms are direct ocean front, double size balcony on 1 bedroom with loungers tables and chairs; table and chairs only on deluxe. The best prices we've found are packages on cheapcaribbean including air, ai hotel and transfers to/from the airport; even cheaper if your dates are flexible and you can travel weekday to weekday vs weekends. Good luck!

Northern California
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

Thanks so much! I will take that advice. We definitely want a King Size bed, not 2 Queens, so the suite looks like the choice.

Northern California
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PV All-Inclusives - Recommendations?

Ok, after much price shopping, the Sunset Plaza is where we decided. All of the reviews seem very positive. Are there only two restaurants on site? And no buffet at all? that's the way I read it, yet someone mentions in a review that they have a la carte restaurants AND a lunch grill (burgers, etc.) so I was just wondering. either way, looking forward to a new experience!