We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV or Cabo in December

Spokane, Wa
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
PV or Cabo in December

We, (spouse and 14 year old) are looking to go either place this December. We can go before and During Christmas or after Christmas. Any recomendations? Also, Looking for Hotels with a full kitchen or renting a condo. We have stayed at AI's before but thinking of a change. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PV or Cabo in December

The two locations have a very different vibe. I've been to both, and while I'm sure they both have their supporters- I prefer PV hands down. PV seems much more "Mexican" to me. Cabo feels more like Southern California. If all you want is a beach vacation then Cabo can supply that. PV offers that and much more. Isn't it fun trip planning?!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
California
California
United States
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,070 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PV or Cabo in December

Water will be warmer the further south you go . . . if that is important. :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV or Cabo in December

luvs2roam nailed it. I'd add that Cabo's in the desert while PV's lush and green with beautiful mountains and jungles surrounding it.

The thing about PV, there's everything from ultra modern hotels and condos to older and newer Spanish style condos and hotels. There's newer modern areas to stay at like the Marina area and Hotel Zone or Downtown/Centro area and the Southside where everything's older and more colorful with lots of little shops, bars, restaurants, markets etc. Centro and the Southside are great walking areas, lots to see and do. If rather be in the mountains, there's that too, right on the edge of town.

There's great food to be found in all the areas. From expensive to cheap but mainly reasonable.That's just touching on a few options there's many other areas around the bay too that are smaller, quieter and more laid back if that's your thing.

Trip advisor lists available condos and I've heard good things about VRBO too. Here's a VRBO link, Trip Advisors is at the top of the page marked "Vacation Rentals".

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…puerto-vallarta

Edited: 02 September 2013, 07:58
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PV or Cabo in December

Condos are popular in PV. There are condos on the edges of both sides of town....north and south, and in town. In town they're in the hills overlooking town, or condos right in the heart of things, or slightly off the beaten track.... but in town. Outside of town proper there are condos too....you can go as far as 20 - 30 minutes away either side. Any further than that and it gets too long to run into town spur of the moment. South of town proper is beautiful with jungle covered mountains.

And yes, there are places to stay that are more like a condotels since you mentioned hotels with kitchens. Those aren't in the heart of town, but places like Sunset Plaza have full kitchens. There are quite a few others too.

Bus and cabs are great and cheap. You can get just about anywhere in or out of town by bus.

I stay in town, I like the vibrancy and the ability to walk as much as I like because PV is a great walking town. Getting a condo in town for Christmas will probably be difficult right now, but not impossible. It will also be nice after Christmas....and a lot of condos are more expensive during the holidays.

Maps running N to S.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Sunset Plaza Beach...
3,506 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,092 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PV or Cabo in December

For condos I have had great luck working with: www.vallarata-getaways.com

Puerto Vallarta is a much larger city than Cabo. It is more lush and tropical feeling. Cabo is at the tip of a desert peninsulta. Both have good places to stay, great restaurants, shopping, activities, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,057 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PV or Cabo in December

Have been to Cabo several times, but not in December. Have been going to Puerto Vallarta for 30 years (a couple of times in December, when I usually stay nearly a month) so can't really speak for Cabo in December but PV has a very welcoming vibe, in the local community, in December and the weather is perfect.

You cannot beat Puerto Vallarta for a wonderful relaxing vacation in December. I was there for a month from Thanksgiving to Christmas last year. Couldn't have been better, with weather and food and activities and just feeling you're really part of Mexico, rather than staying in a resort.

Personally, having been to Cabo several times, it would be the last place on my list that I'd want to spend December ---- and I own a timeshare there (which I usually trade into PV).

I usually trade into Puerto Vallarta through RCI timeshares or stay in a Mexican hotel but if you're looking for resources as to where to stay (I've stayed in two condos in PV for a month each but they are no longer available to rent), you will get excellent suggestions here.

Come to Puerto Vallarta in December. You will love it!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: PV or Cabo in December

Been to both. Prefer PV for many reasons. Jmo

Spokane, Wa
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: PV or Cabo in December

Thank you all for the great information.! The more I look the more I think we will go back to a hotel & A.I. My daughter wants to be around more people vs booking a condo and being secluded. PV is at the top of our list as I think it does have more to offer than Cabo. The water temp is important!! :) I love searching all the hotels but I am dissapointed with most of the room accomadations. It usually states 1 King bed or 2 doubles. My husband and I are are 6ft tall. We will not fit in a double bed. I wish we could search using size of beds. Do you know of ocean front hotels with FULL kitchens? That would be our second choice. Thanks again everyone! you are most helpful!!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
551 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PV or Cabo in December

Check out Velas Vallarta, in the marina in PV...offers AI or not I believe when going hotel route..or maybe only AI not sure as I am timeshare...spacious units..fully stocked kitchens, awesome grounds..at least check it out online..

Sorry I have yet to go to Cabo..

PV is nice in Dec. though you might need a light sweater at night..

Mentioned in this post
Velas Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
3,884 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PV or Cabo in December

Sunset Plaza has brand new full kitchens.

You might need to post a new thread asking directly about your wishes. They might get buried here. More people will notice if you put kitchens in the title. There are many others, I just don't stay AI or in hotels any more so don't want to mess you up by recommending things I don't know about.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Sunset Plaza Beach...
3,506 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico