We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

westin or sheraton

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lodi,california
12 posts
Save Topic
westin or sheraton

might be going in April. which resort would you recommend?

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
293 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: westin or sheraton

/The Westin is a gorgeous facility if you want to be away from the downtown area. The Westin is in Marina Vallarta and the Sheraton is on the main road to downtown. I have stayed at both with my timeshare. Even though Marina is a man made area, it is clean, great restaurants, easy to get around in and not as busy as the Sheraton Area. Also the Westin is better maintained.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a hotel ...closeness to nightlife...choose the Sheraton..

Comfortable, elegant, less hectic, choose the Westin. We took my two neices and two step kids (ages 19-24 )and they loved the place.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,271 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: westin or sheraton

The advantage of the Sheraton, as Buceriasally says, is that it's walking distance to the Malecon and the South Side (about 10-15 to the Malecon) and about 30 minutes to the South Side. It's not just for nightlife on which your decision should be based, it's how much time you want to spend in Puerto Vallarta itself. You can certainly take a bus or a cab easily to downtown from the Marina, but it's not the same, in my opinion, as being able to stroll along the boardwalk (the Malecon) and grab coffee on the south side. The entire walk can be along the water's edge.

lodi,california
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: westin or sheraton

Thanks for the info,but it seems like I maybe selecting the wrong hotels .I am looking for a hotel or resort walking distance to downtown maybe with a good beach.Does not have to be4or 5star and definitely not all inclusive there are to many good eateries in PV.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,496 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: westin or sheraton

"..... but it seems like I maybe selecting the wrong hotels"

If so, you might wish to consider the 'Villa Premiere' -- it's located in the northern-end of the 'Downtown' (actually just a short walk south of the Sheraton Hotel). It's a fine beach-side property, located on a decent, though not usually considered 'great' beach, adults-only, and one can stay there all-inclusive or not.

It's just a short walk from there - (via the beach and/or street - to the start of the Malecon, and all its attractions. It's a pleasant seaside walk from there to the Plaza, and beyond. If you continue over the 'new' Malecon extension (and please do!!), you'll find yourself in the south-side (''Romantic Zone") of the city (on Los Muertos beach, and then Olas Altas), with all it's attractions and things to see and do.

You are considering fine properties. But should you wish to be even closer to 'inside' the city, and still retain "fine hotel comforts", I think the Villa Premiere could be a great choice.

Good luck!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,660 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: westin or sheraton

If you really mean it about dropping down to a 3-star Mexican-style place, there are loads of options. But they are not "resorts" by any stretch of the imagination!! Hotel Rosita, Hotel Encino, Hotel Eloisa, Tropicana are nice modest places and true walking distance to downtown. But absolutely not in the same class of hotels you mentioned.

Have you looked at the Buenaventura? That's a 4-star in the downtown area (the north end of it). Or Villa Premiere next door to Buenaventura?

6. Re: westin or sheraton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 21:15