We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

We are looking to spend a week in puerto vallarta with our 1 year old son in the 1st week of November. Here is what we would ideally like, pls help narrow down possible options:

- 1 bedroom suite with at least a kitchenette

- On the beach (not as much for swimming but for long walks on the beach)

- Baby friendly pool, ocean-like gradual entry pool preferred

- Not a crowded/busy resort

- Close to restaurants/local eateries either via walking on beach or walking/cab on road

- all inclusive option with great food (not sure if we are doing AI yet though)

For some reference - When we visited Cabo, we stayed at Villa del Arco and that was perfect for us, although we were minus baby at that time. We could walk to other resorts on the beach at night for relaxing for a drink or a quick snack. We could also walk to the downtown area (a bit of a distance) to explore local eateries. It had kitchenette in the room, and great pools. Wasnt crowded when we visited in December.

Thank you for your input!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

To be within walking or a short distance for "restaurants/local eateries" you need to be close to town, that being Puerto Vallarta. Most 'Resorts' aren't very close, but we do have some nice hotels in or close to town. Have a look at a map, Google is your friend :)

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

I think you will find what you are looking for in Vallarta you will have to compromise some of your criteria. The Villa Group Properties all have what you had at their property in Cabo, but the only real beach restaurants for a drink or quick snack in Vallarta are in the Los Muertos Beach area which does not have the type of accomodations you are looking for.

Have you considered renting a condo, they are plentiful on the southside of town.

Villa Del Palmar Flamingos is on a beautiful beach but is pretty much isolated for walking to a beach bar/restaurant and is 45 min from PV.

Villa Del Palmar Puerto Vallarta has all the amenities you want and you can walk north on the beach for a long ways, but no beach bars/restaurants to walk to. The bus stops right in front and is a quick ride to the downtown or Marina area for drinks/restaurants.

Basically all your criteria/amenities will either be in the hotel zone or the Marina. I don't know if you can find a condo with a gradual entry pool.

Crowding the first week of November will not be an issue.

Vallarta is a great walking town, bring a stroller and you can walk fir hours.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 20:29
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

I will throw another one out there.....Playa Los Arcos Hotel fits your requirements pretty well. It is in town on Olas Altas and within easy reach (within seconds) of restaurants and good shopping on foot. It is on Los Muertos beach where you can walk and stop in at any number of open air restaurants and bars. They do have optional AI, but you don't necessarily need it here.

The pool does have a gradual entry. This is a family resort with Mexican ambiance that is simple and clean and you can get a Jr. Suite with a kitchenette or a full kitchen. People do say that if you decide to stay there you should call direct to get a good room.

The area is very active, as is the beach. But, if you stay oceanview or ocean front you shouldn't have any bothersome noise other than the ocean. :-)

The resort is sisters with two others....Casa Dona Susanna which is adults only, and Los Arcos Suites which is a short block inland. I don't suggest Los Arcos Suites as it is very worn now and has some musty issues that don't go away when the AC is turned on. But, I think the main hotel Playa Los Arcos could fill your needs nicely if you would like to be right in town.

I'll add that PLA, which is the abbreviation everyone uses for this hotel....is loved by many that like to stay in town.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 22:59
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

'baby friendly pool'? Some resorts with kids clubs have wading pools or pools available for kids still in diapers. We have been at several hotels where adults were carrying babies in the pool and were asked to get out; although this is allowed at some resorts it is not allowed at all. Canto del Sol and the Sheraton pools no problem as they are combined and one pool, the Sheraton being closer to town.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

There's nothing right in town that comes close to all your criteria. I think something on your list will have to give. Either staying outside the city in one of the resort areas, or giving up some (many) items on your wish list.

suze

Calgary
Level Contributor
194 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

In PV proper I like the Playa Los Arcos suggestion. They have one bedroom suites and AI, although I don't know that the AI would be considered as great food. I wouldn't do AI here anyway as there are many, many restaurants within a short walk. We spent a day here earlier this year and the main pool isn't zero entry, but there is a decent sized shallow kiddie pool in addition to the main pool. PLA is not a large, fancy resort though so keep that in mind. It is also right in the middle of the action so if you want a laid back setting this isn't it.

Also in PV, maybe Villa Del Palmar? You'd have to take a taxi or bus to old town but I think it would fulfill most of your other criteria (just not sure about the beach walking around there). Velas Vallarta in the marina area is also excellent, but beach walking is limited.

In Nuevo Vallarta, Paradise Village or a private condo at Dreams VM would fit the bill on almost all counts except that you will have less restaurant options close by (enough for a week, but much less than in PV). Beach walking is superb in Nuevo. We had a fantastic time with our young children at Paradise Village.

Happy travels!

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

I think that the OP should be aware that the streets & sidewalks in PV (meaning in town) IMO are not very stroller friendly, what with the cobblestone streets - just something the OP might want to consider - not trying to discourage a trip to PV in the least but maybe others can chime in on areas that are more one-year old friendly - depending on what the family plans to do while in PV, i would recommend Garza Blanca in a heartbeat - while it is not "in town", it is a quiet resort with a great AI option that is not buffet food and a very kid-friendly shallow part of the pool - i don't recall seeing a kiddie pool there but they do have one bedroom suites with full kitchen - not a big ride into town, either - taxi about $8USD or so -

Calgary
Level Contributor
194 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

We've been to PV several times with our Bob Revolution stroller and have had very few difficulties. You might need to lift the stroller from time to time but we found this to be a very minor inconvenience.

Also, the malecon is perfect for strollers.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

My son and dil used their Jeep umbrella stroller all over PV. As an example, we walked to El Brujo and to Encanto. Those streets do have some narrow uneven sidewalks. They just lifted the stroller up when they came to a problem spot, but mainly once on the quiet part of the street, they strolled him in the street on the cobblestones, it was easy to see a car coming, traffic is slow there and not heavy, and there were lots of opportunities to get out of the way.

Our 3 year old grandson thought the cobblestones were fun. The stroller is so light, that lifting it wasn't a problem even with a 30 lb. child. The new ramps for crossing the street that they have even added to the still old sidewalks, also made it easier than it would have been in the past.

I had always thought it might be impossible to navigate off of the obviously easy new sidewalks, so I asked my dil what her recommendation would be to other parents. She said all you need is a good quality umbrella stroller with swivel wheels, two people to lift front and back...and you're good to go.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help narrow down resort pls, criteria below

We haven't stayed at the Villa del Palmar, but it is on our list with our family as we have little kids as well. If you do consider Nuevo, we have stayed at the Paradise Village and our kids loved it and the Dreams Villamagna is great as well. They are on the same wonderful beach. The PV had some of the best food of anywhere we've stayed and their theme nights were fun:)

As for a stroller, I would bring a heavier one than an umbrella since the roads aren't great and those little wheels turn everywhere and they don't have a shade or an undercarriage. We bring a little bit bigger one that still has a shade and an undercarriage, but folds up nice for the bus. (not a huge one though). JMO from the last few years with strollers and kids.

Enjoy your trip:)