We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

We always take a taxi, but this time decided to rent a car from Eurocar. I found a great deal - $27 for the week. Even with the extra charges for insurance, tax, ect., it still works out to be less than a taxi to/from Punta Mita, plus it gives us the freedom to do much more exploring. Can someone please point me in the right direction to the car rental counters at the airport? Thank you!

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

$27.00 dollars for the week!! I would check that out again.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

I agree with MHB4 but just in case, as you leave the shark tank on the right you will see the taxi booth, just past it on the left all the car rental booths along the wall.

Good luck, let us know how you get on, might be interested if it pans out but not holding my breath !

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

I checked on orbitz and I couldn't believe it, so I checked the Europcar website and it stated the same price. I booked through their website and my confirmation says $27.55 total for the week. I emailed their customer service dept to see if this was correct and what additional fees were to expected and they said yes and the liability and VAT were in addition to the total. Unbelievable rate! Now I just need to figure out where the Europcar counter is at the airport. Can anyone help me?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

Thanks IanP55. You must have posted while I was typing. Wish me luck! Worst case scenario is we take taxis. :-)

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

That is a great rate on a rental car, but as you know, if something sounds to good to be true.....

Here is a link to information on car rental insurance in Mexico:

mexperience.com/guide/…5

I would strongly encourage you to take ALL OF THE COVERAGE OFFERED, so that you are not out-of-pocket any additional funds or surprises when you go to return the car. There have been many a horror story written on this TA Forum, about car rentals that sounded too good to be true. I just hope yours is the exception.

¡Se diviertán!

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

I did a quick search on the forum & didn't really find anything bad about them, just have to be aware of the up charges they are going to hit you with. Please read one of the threads from forum.

tripadvisor.ca/…32293091

This guy complains about Payless but I don't think he was treated badly just didn't understand all the ramifications involved. There is a moment in there about Europcar also.

Good luck.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

Thank you IanP55! I also did a quick search on Fox and Europcar (Fox is offering a $2.80 a day rental). Fox had some bad reviews, but Europcar seems to be pretty legit. I'm totally aware of the upcharges, but the total should still come out to close to what cab fare to/from Punta Mita would be. (I know to take pictures of the whole care before leaving)

We are a really laid back couple, so if it turns out to be a "too good to be true" thing, we'll walk over to the taxi stand and continue on with our awesome vacation. But hey, for $27 a week, I have to try... :-)

If anyone is interested, the time frame we are traveling is Oct. 7th-13. You can check the Fox and Europcar websites as well as Orbitz.

Less than 2 weeks until paradise! Yeah!

Toronto
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

I recall the Europcar lot is walking distance from the departure area of the PV airport. It is one of two car rental yards beyond (west?) the departure area of the PV airport. If the amount of luggage you are bringing is manageable, you might want to scope out the distance and get away from the hubbub in the airport terminal.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

sshellbella,

Sadly most travelers to Pto. Vallarta who rent cars with a 'great deal' do not find out that it is 'too good to be true' until AFTER they return the car at the end of the rental period. That is when they discover they are being charged hundreds of dollars for untold / unknown damages or missing spare tires, etc.

The link I provided (in post #5 above) is not my personal suggestion, but I do agree with it wholeheartedly. Taking ALL of the INSURANCE COVERAGE offered will change your daily rate, but it will protect you from horrendous charges upon turning the car in at the end of your vacation.

Good luck; hope it works out for you. Please return to this thread AFTER your Pto. Vallarta vacation, and let us all know what happened.

¡Se diviertán!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Car Rental Location - Europcar

If it was me, I would definitely rent a car if I was staying in Punta Mita. The driving is pretty straightforward from the airport North to Punta Mita. I think you'd appreciate having wheels, because it will open up a lot of possibilities for things to do - e.g. day trips to Sayulita, visits to Playa Destiladeras, La Cruz, Bucerias, etc. You could also do these things with buses / taxis, but in my experience the spontaneity and independence offered by having your own wheels means you will end up doing a lot more!