We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$34.00 Car Rental!?

New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
$34.00 Car Rental!?

We will be in PV from Nov. 24 - Dec 1. Expedia is giving me a quoting of $34 dollars for a compact automatic car all seven days! What the catch?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

Dream on ! LOL the extras, mostly insurance will kill you. Go with Gecko Car Rental, I don't recommend anyone but them !

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

I agree with JR. Gecko is the only one I would deal with.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

We have rented from two companies, National Rental and ended up with $8900 US charged to our card for a one day rental. We have also rented from Gecko (once for two weeks and once for 3 days). They are honest and best of all there are no hidden charges. Gecko is my only recommendation.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

I hope you meant to say it was a $89.00 USD charge.

I usually drive my own car to Puerto Vallarta, from Guadalajara. But, there are a lot of people who will only deal with Gecko when they rent.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 05:40
Manitoba
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

No, it actually was $8,900.00 USD, most of the charges were made in Culiacan, and all were vehicle related. We were alerted to it when we went to book an emergency flight back home a week later. Our cc company handled it and we weren't out any money but it was a pain to deal with. Gecko is the only way to rent a vehicle IMO.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

In July Gecko charged me $25.00US per day, including insurance. They will deliver and pick up for $20 US each way. It was a good experience.

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

What the catch? You are!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

We just rented from Europcar for $27 for the week. Realistically, after insurance and taxes, our bill will come out to around $165. I think it's still a good deal for the week. No problems so far and I really enjoyed driving in PV today! Hopefully the rental car return will go smoothly. I took lots of pictures and made sure every ding was noted on the contract... Here's to a successful first day in PV!

New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

That's still a great price even with the mark ups. Let me know if you have any problems with them.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $34.00 Car Rental!?

We returned the car today. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Some people on this forum are overly negative about the whole car rental experience and will try to scare you. Don't let them. Europcar was very nice and totally professional. My total bill came to $165 for the week (half of what Gecko wanted and with full coverage). I would use them again in a heartbeat. My only suggestion is to do your homework about the company and make sure ALL damage is marked before you take the car. We had a very positive experience with Europcar and it was great to have transportation. So sad to be returning home. We had the best vacation ever!