We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams PV vs Now Amber

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams PV vs Now Amber

We are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary next August and are debating between these two resorts. We have two children (who will be 3 and 6 at the time we go), that are coming with us as we have no one to stay with them for a week while we go alone. So a good kids club is important, we need some alone time!!

On paper these resorts seem very comparable; both kids clubs start at age 3 (vs many resorts where it is age 4) so both girls can go in the same club. They both have baby sitting services (which I know most resorts offer for a charge). They both seem to have a wide range of food options, etc. So I guess what I'm wondering really is there in an advantage of one hotel over another? We are not big beach people so if one has a nicer beach than the other it's not a huge deal.

I know we are 10 months out and won't be booking just yet; if we were to book today for the week in August that we need Now Amber would be $900 more for a week over Dreams PV.

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

We have stayed at both resorts. I wouldn't pay more for Now Amber. They are similar in service and quality. The buffet was much better at Dreams PV .

If I were taking small children with me I would choose Dreams. Main reason is the private beach and resort layout. It feels so safe and secure there. No worries about people wandering in off the beach.

new york
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

We have stayed at both also. I agree with pvis4me. I wouldn't pay more for Now Amber. But since you are going in August, the prices should go down for both resorts early next year.

I would choose Dreams for the same reasons sited by pvis4me. I really feel like I'm on vacation more at Dreams than at the Now Amber. Nothing wrong with the Now Amber but Dreams PV has that "magical" quality that I like.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

Great, thank you! Looks like it will be Dreams PV for us!! Now just to sit back and wait for the price to drop just a teeny....tiny..bit ;-) We're still 10 months out after all!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

Agree with posters that Dreams is the place. Keep in mind August is the hot, rainy time of year there.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

Yep, we are aware. We've been to Puerto Vallarta in August once before (our honeymoon in fact, stayed at the Samba) so we know what to expect weather-wise. Our 10th anniversary is in August, we want to be away during it.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

Great! Have a happy and romantic anniversary.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

We also travel with our kids and having a balcony is very important to us after they go to sleep, so remember that most rooms in the old tower do not have a balcony, so you have to book one that does or you have to book in the preferred tower.

Enjoy)

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

We have stayed at Dreams and toured Now Amber last year... personally I prefer Dreams for the beach, seeing that the beach is not important to you I would choose Now Amber for newer updated accommodations; its also a shorter commute to the airport and downtown and you will be in walking distance to area shopping, and the difference in price is probably comparable pricing to the old tower at Dreams. You may also want to consider Sunset Plaza Beach, also a new property and their 1 bedroom suite is priced lower than standard accommodations at Dreams or Now Amber; SPB has a kids club, pool and also has sitter service available.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

Thanks for all the updates! I've never heard of the Sunset Plaza Beach resort before; I'm travelling from Canada and none of the tour operators list this as one of the hotels we can book through them, unfortunately.

Thank you for tips on the old tower vs. new. Didn't even think about not getting a balcony; a must for us after the kiddos are in bed as we always have a glass or two on the balcony at other resorts we have stayed at. Will keep this in mind when it comes to booking.

We are planning for August 2014, how far in in advance should we book I wonder, seeing as August is probably 'off season.'

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams PV vs Now Amber

My mistake, one CDN travel company (Air Transat Holidays) does have Sunset Plaza as one of their hotel destinations. However they have priced it higher than Dreams! And the dates they go don't match with when we want to go (they only fly once a week and the 23rd of August is 2 days after our anniversary, we want to travel on the 18th or 19th in order to be there during our anniversary.)