We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free to Seattle

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,412 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free to Seattle

hola my PV forum friends-

I've rarely bother bringing home booze and have never bought it at duty free. But I have a non-stop flight this trip (whoo-hoo!!) PV to Seattle so was considering buying something at the airport and carrying it on (my suitcase is not substantial enough to pack liquor in the checked bag).

I read online my allowance is "1 liter". Sorry for the stupid questions but...

-Is a typical sized bottle of booze 1 liter?

-Can I bring 2 bottles if I pay something extra?

gracias, suze

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free to Seattle

a typical bottle is 750ml

i am not sure but I think you just pay duty on anything over 1 litre

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free to Seattle

You may have to pay a duty. Or, as happened to us, they may explain the rules to you and tell you not to do it again. Here's a link to some more info:

cbp.gov/xp/…customs_duty_info.xml

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,412 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free to Seattle

Yes, thank you. WeTravel that was the website I already read. I didn't find anything specific about being over your allowance. If it's not allowed, I don't want to do it. If it's OK only you have to pay a bit extra I would consider it. Again, thanks all.

suze

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free to Seattle

Suze, what a wonderful idea/plan. You are already past the security check so you can add any liquid you buy in the duty free store, to your carry-on. You do not have to worry about 3 oz. and still have a few drinks on the plane. Good thinking! :) Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free to Seattle

it is allowed - you may be asked to pay duty. There is no area on the customs form that asks about how much liquor you have. If a customs agent asks, answer truthfully, but there is no need to volunteer the info if they dont ask. The question "do you have anything to declare" is meant for you if you have more than 1 litre.

usually if you have 2 bottles, they cant be bothered with the paperwork. If you were bringing in a case, it might be a different story. When I've come back from Merida with 2 bottles of Xtabentun in the duty free box, Ive been asked and waved through after I answer truthfully.

suitcaseready.com

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,412 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free to Seattle

Exactly the info I was hoping for. Thanks so much, evening.

Buckeyfan, I don't think you're allowed to open it up and start drinking on the plane -hahaha.

My cat-sitter requested a bottle, but I wanted one for myself too. Hence this important "problem".

always, suze

Edited: 23 October 2013, 22:30
AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free to Seattle

A normal size bottle can be 750 ml or l liter...it just depends. I usually bring back Crown Royal and it can be purchased at duty free in either size. The US Customs form says "declare all articles that you have acquired abroad and are bringing into the United States." I list (on the back of the form) alcohol and the amount I spent, not how many bottles I purchased. ex. Alcohol $38, souvenirs $27, etc. then total it up, enter that total on the page and then in the space on the front of the form. In 35 years of traveling to various places, I have only been asked, "how many bottles?" twice, and I did not have to pay duty on the amount I was over. However, if the agent had wanted to ask me to fill out the forms and pay, I would have had to do so, or leave the alcohol there. I have had friends who were stopped and had to pay the duty for the amount they were over the limit. Duty is not very expensive. It is just time consuming to fill out the forms. At one point in time , the customs website told the price of the duty if over your limit. ... a percentage of the cost. Might still be on the site, if you want to check.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,412 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free to Seattle

I appreciate the posts. Thank you. It's just something I've never bothered with before and still not sure if it'll be worth the (potential, slight) hassle of going over allowance. My friend isn't looking for anything real special, maybe I'll buy her a bottle of tequila in Seattle before my trip... And just bring my own home -haha.

I do always fill out my customs form in ridiculous detail (for just silly small souvenier-y stuff) and am always waved right thru.

suze

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free to Seattle

I'm confused as to why you would buy alcohol at Duty Free as opposed to buying it in PV? It's going to be way cheaper in PV, Duty free is not much of a deal anymore....

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,412 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free to Seattle

(for BCwife) I posted that I was considering <<buying something at the airport and carrying it on (my suitcase is not substantial enough to pack liquor in the checked bag)>>

If you buy in town you can't carry it on the plane, you have to put it in checked luggage and my suitcase is extremely lightweight so would not provide enough cushion for bottles of booze. suze