We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marina VS Romantic zone

Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Marina VS Romantic zone

hey there,

we are 3 young couples (20's) heading down to PV in may and I had a question I would appreciate some opinions on.

We are going to rent a place to stay for the month and have two options narrowed down right now.

There is a place in the Marina area on the beach and can also see the golf course. The other place is in the "romantic zone" on the beach very close to the "seahorse" statue.

Both places seem nice and both are on the beach but don't know much else beyond that.

We are interested in snorkeling and beach quality

looking at shells and things that wash up on shore

We like exploring and would be cool to see some architecture as well

being able to walk to groceries/restaurants/things to see (rather than taxi or bus) would be preferred

will also do some excursions probably so hopefully some somewhat close by

Any opinions on which area might be best for us?

Very much appreciate any responses,

thanks in advance!

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

If you are interested in snorkeling, I would suggest staying a a place south of town around the Conchas Chinas area where the water quality is much better for snorkeling and you also have shallow reefs. You will have a better chance of getting shells and sea glass around there. You can even walk to Town along the shore. A bus or taxi is only 5 min. to town. You can enjoy the best of both venues. The Marina area beach really do not lend themselves to snorkeling. You might also consider taking the bus to Boca de Tomaltan and there you can take the water taxi to several of the tropical beaches to the south.

Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

Thanks for your input!

Do you happen to know if both Marina and the romantic zone by the seahorse statue/river are walking distance for groceries and things of the sort?

we are going for a month and don't want to be stuck somewhere where we would have to taxi to go places if we get bored so we are kind of aiming for a place that can provide multiple levels of entertainment without having to travel far/or everyday

Thanks again!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

The Romantic Zone, also known as the southside will offer you many more options for dining and entertainment and walking distance to town; the marina is on a much smaller scale and appox a 15min taxi ride into town.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

We're currently staying on the south side/romantic zone for a month. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in the area. I like being able to walk to beaches, restaurants, bars, grocery stores.

We did take a bus to the Marina one day for lunch. Very quiet and pretty boring, not many people around. Although our lunch was good. We're just not resort type people and that's what seemed to be in the area.

canada
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

If you're close to the Seahorse your in the Downtown area. South of the River Cuale is Old Town. Nonetheless a great area.

If I was 20 again I'd take the Downtown area over the Marina hands down.

You'll be close to shopping/groceries/restaurants with far better choices than the Marina. If you want to do some snorkelling you're better off in the Conchas Chinas area. Downtown would be closer than the Marina.

If you're committed to your two choices that's one thing, but if you're still negotiable take a look at the Los Muertos area in Old Town. It's about 1/4 mile south of the Seahorse and can't be overlooked as a viable option.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

There is a sea horse statue at Los Muertos beach also. There are two sea horse statues.

canada
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

Hi Richard, do you know where on the South Side?

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

South side/downtown area for sure! close to all the restaurants and nightlife, just a beautiful area to explore and roam. I think 1 month in the Marina area would be too long as I`m sure you would be travelling most days to South side/downtown. Leys supermarket would be the closest to the south side/downtown area but you can get loads of stuff right were you would be staying. For me, hands down it would be the south side/downtown.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

As clarified there are 2 seahorse statues. The one on Los Muertos is towards the south-end of the beach.

I would pick the south-side no contest. Although there aren't any full service grocery stores there (you have to go downtown for that) there are plenty of shops and stores to pick up typical daily supplies. And loads of cafes, bars, restaurants, all types and price ranges. And several delis, bakeries, rotisserie chicken and taco stands, for picking up prepared food to-go.

I think the Marina would get awfully boring for a month's stay.

suze

Edited: 25 October 2013, 17:05
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marina VS Romantic zone

another vote for the southside----stayin for a month---easy access to all of what you need. buses so close---easy access to all southern beaches by bus so you can snorkel---have a blast--wish it were me