We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

Hi,

I saw pics of the hidden beach in the Marietas Island a few days ago. I was very impressed and felt like visiting there. It's actually like an unknown place to me, so want to check if it really satisfies my expectations(beautiful scenery, good to snorkel or dive) and worth spending time and money(I have to take a flight to Guadalajala then take a bus again). Information I've gathered while browsing is that I can take a day-tour from a place called Puerto Vallarta.

want to know

- what is included in that tour exactly? visiting the hidden beach and snorkling there? what time is it over?

- I'd like to do scuba diving too as I read that its nature and marine wildlife is awesome. Is it true?

- Are there many attractions in Puerto Vallarta itself? How is the place compared Cancun and Playa del Carmen? and how many days would u recommend staying?

Thanks

Edited: 25 October 2013, 15:38
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

Most tours to the islands are for the whole day - 7 hours and costs about $60-$70, if you book online. Scuba with 2 tanks would cost $95 but it's not like the Caribbean.

Very different from Cancún and Playa del Carmen, if you stay in town it's easy to walk or take a bus anywhere, loads of great restaurants/bars/clubs.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

Not like the Caribbean means.. you think the Caribbean is better for diving, or vice versa?

What would u say for the idea of visiting both places at the same time? I came up with the thought actually while i was preparing my Cancun trip. I was browsing and happened to get pics of the hidden beach. Not sure if it would be good decision to get there as driven by the hidden beach only - i want to hear some advice about it. I would just skip PV if it's not very much different from the Caribbean, or the Caribbean is better in aspects or beaches, having fun, and diving.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

Diving is not as good here, but the entertainment and restaurants are far superior to the Caribbean side, which is not close at all, about 1,500 miles away. Plus we have Mountains and Jungle and a very cosmopolitan city.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

In Cancun, the tourists are somewhat isolated in the hotel zone from the remainder of the city, and the shopping and restaurants are typically American chains. In Puerto Vallarta, you are immersed in the Mexican culture, and many restaurants are family owned and operated. The beaches may be prettier in Cancun, but in PV you can experience Mexico.

And you do not have to fly to Guadalajara and take a bus. Puerto Vallarta has an international airport.

How long to stay? As long as possible.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

Cancún is not really a city, it was built as a tourist resort in 1970, before that there were only 3 residents :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

If you are just looking for beaches, fun and diving, I wouldn't split a stay between the Caribbean side and PV and waste vacation time traveling. Head south from Cancun about an hour or so for small wonderful towns, great beaches, diving, cenotes, caves, etc. for exploring. We love both areas (PV and the mayan Riviera) but wouldn't dream of doing them both on one trip (espcecially if you're only looking to see great beaches and diving that's on the Caribbean side). JMO. Enjoy your holiday.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,252 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

I had no idea that the Yucatan was not Mexico!

Really, JR....you are a bit off base here, IMO. The Mayans are just as 'Mexican' as the Toltecs or the Huichols, no? There are many towns and areas on the Caribbean side that are not touristy like Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Puerto Morelos, Isla Mujeres, Tulum, Siaan Kaan, Boca Paila, Majahual, etc.

Granted, even I have referred to the Mayan Riviera as 'Mexico Disneyland'...but that is due to it's great popularity and numbers of tourists and the presence of lots of eco/activity parks. It is no more commercialized than PV is though, in terms of numbers of American chains, etc. Sorry, JMO...but if I hear friends are looking to go to 'real authentic Mexico' I wouldn't send them to either area.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 20:45
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

Where did I say it wasn't Mexican ?

My point was that Cancún is not a town with any history, just like Nuevo Vallarta.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

we travel to both playa del carmen and the pv/nv area every year. each has something to offer! beaches, sunrises, turtle releases, cenotes, snorkeling/diving and water color is playa del carmen. restaurants, mountains (real mountains, not hills LOL) & jungles, sunsets, cosmo city and restaurants is pv and area!

sorry not a fan of cancun itself.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Get to the hidden beach from Guadalajala?

How long is your vacation? If you are only going to go once, and you have many many days, then I'd choose both - to get a flavor of each. They are so very different. Puerto Vallarta vs Playa del Carmen are in direct opposite of each other as to location tho. I do agree with Maried11 how great the Caribbean side is for beaches, and diving. Especially Cozumel for diving. It all depends on what you want to get out of your vacation.

We go to Puerto Vallarta quite often as it's closer to where we live and its cheaper to book a flight. I love the Mexican feel of the city. Very authentic where we stay (old town). Beach activities (the sand is hot and there are lots of vendors on the beach)), boating, excursions, great restaurants, majestic mountains, walk the Malecon, the new pier view sunsets "to die for" every single night! ......just so much to do and you don't need a car.

We've only been to Playa del Carmen once (this last March). It took us a whole day to get there from where we live plus our flight was more expensive. Its a different type of Mexican feel and there's so much to do there. We really liked it. We stayed just off 5th Avenue in a boutique hotel within walking distance to everything. The beaches were white, cool to the touch, crystal blue waters. No vendors on the beach as well. Didn't see great sunsets, in fact... didn't see one sunset at all while we were there.

I also think if you want a comparison of the two locations you might want to start a new thread. You would go get more responses. With your current title you will just get the Guadalajara information you requested above.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 21:37