We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

October 25th 2002 When we were in Puerto Valllarta.. Hurricane Kenna decided to pay a visit... Every Oct I think back to that day...We went back to PV several times and once to same resort (video link.. pics on see more) rooms and Lobby first 2 floors Ocean side were taken out by waves..Furniture and you name it..crap etc took off down hallways and outside..I always wondered what all we walked over on our way to the street.. I do know I tripped over a red Volkswagon.....Lobby desk was buried in 5 ft of sand

dailymotion.com/video/x40hbf_hurricane-kenna… First few seconds on video Bill and I on jet ski taken after we jumped off a roof (front of resort).. We ended up jumping off ski and getting out to main street on our own.. I felt better as soon as we were out of the resort that smelled of propane and a resort that had been slammed by waves(thought it would blow up or fall down) Big A** wave 1:19 into video

Click on photos on both links to enlarge

Photos taken by Dutch tourists that stayed at our resort .. http://home.zonnet.nl/pv_kenna/kenna.htm Click on Hotel LasPalmas left side of page then bottom of page where it says Om ze te zien Click hier

My photos on photobucket with captions..Most pics were taken by a friend(lives in Sask) BIG Bill..

…photobucket.com/user/…

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

There was major damage in some areas, but Hurricane Kenna did not actually hit PV, rather it was the storm surge. The hurricane itself came ashore in San Blas, which is quite a ways north of PV.

We were there also, and watched from our balcony. I took many pictures which are no longer online since Webshots was taken down. Maybe I'll sign up at Photobucket and get them posted again.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 18:21
canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

Some years after Kenna I came to agree about the storm surge.. I am so happy Bill and I never gave up on going back to Mexico.. One of our yearly places we go to... Booked already for Dec.

I would enjoy seeing your photos.

and.... Thank You

Sumner, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

Wow .. Thanks for sharing your video..

Brings back lots of memories of 2002.We were booked for Las Palmas that year starting Nov 8th or so. With Las Palmas closed & not sure if we would go. We decided to go, stayed at the Hotel Posada Rio Cuale for a few days.Took a drive down the coast to Manzanillo. Came back stayed and stayed at Tropicana for 2 weeks. We meet friends that year we now see every year. Now stay in Old Town each year.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
109 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

Thank you for the memories of PV 2002 !

We hope to see this never again !

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

cat---thx for the photos---hope it never happens to us in pv.

we survived hurricane Emily on 2005 in riviera maya. 400 of us were herded to a schoolhouse 2 hours inland. the damage was devastating.

it was eerie to be sitting in the dark with strangers listening to the wail of that hurricane-----then the silence of the eye---then the wind again. great experience working with peeps to prepare for the storm. no one spoke English either---kinda like building the tower of babel---but we managed.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

Thanks for the pictures! Saw several of our collapsed time share towers at Plaza Pelicanos just south of Las Palmas. it was a few years before they were able to finish rebuilding and meanwhile we stayed in the hotel each time we went down. Amazing photos.

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

Thanks all :)

iyamscifi2 it is weird being in a room with strangers going through a storm... For some time we were in a room with a few British phych nurses... Talk about calm just chatting away ... when the resort shook they said it was the seventh wave as those were the BIGGIES... huh??... All they needed was a cuppa... All I needed was to hide under the bed with a bottle of wine.. :)and maybe take one of those calm ones with me ... LOL

This yr the weather has been crazy all over the world... My thoughts go to those

that have suffered because of them..

Well now it is cooling down where we live... I have started counting down our Mexico vacation... Kenna is behind me till I think of it again next Oct.. :)

8. Re: Memories of PV from 2002 Love PV did go back several times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:16