We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
313 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

So I'm checking out alternate properties for a late Jan vacation. Was considering Dreams PV, but not seeing prices low enough for what I want (given their upcoming changes). I don't want to give up on a PVR vacation yet, determined to visit this beautiful place. We typically stick to Dreams or Palace resorts for comparison. So, we don't like having to make reservations for dinner, stand in line, limited ala carte dinners, etc. For whatever reason Dreams VM wasn't as alluring to me as PV so I'm just looking outside our normal venue now.

We want to be close enough to town 10-15 mins by cab, but intend to eat mostly on resort just for convenience. Staying 7 nights, husband will dive 3 days max. We'll probably tour town or check out other towns on another day. While hubby dives, I read books and chill on the beach. Also like to join a game or two around the pool or beach if any are offered.

What I really prefer is a nice beach. I'm looking at the Sunset Plaza Beach as several have mentioned this property as a great option. Also checking Villa Premier. What I'm worried about at both of these properties is the frequency of vendors...also, do the restaurants require reservations at Villa premier or sunset plaza?

Of those 2, has anyone stayed at those and also Dreams PV and could compare the beach? Do they have umbrellas or palapas at Sunset beach (most pictures don't show any that I could see of traveler photos.)

thanks for any help.

Superior Tours Vallarta
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

I have not stayed at vp but stayed at Buenaventura next door. the beach is rocky and so is the ocean floor.other than that I have no knowledge of the properties--sorry

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,479 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

I'd say the same thing as above about Sunset Plaza, having stayed there. The beach is a bit rocky and not very deep (that means from the resort to the bay, not the depth of the water). That section of PV tends to be that way, with very narrow beaches, with rock jetties in between. Some of the resorts in that area (Sunset, Canto del Sol, Plaza Pelicanos Grand and others) tend to have better pools than beaches.

The more expansive beaches are further north, in the direction of Villa del Palmar and Krystal/Hilton and also into the Marina area and up into Nuevo --- if a beach is important to you.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

Check out Garza Blanca. We have stayed at Sunset Plaza Beach twice and this is definitely a step up. Food is much better and beach is great for PV.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

My comparisons to the two...

Beaches: Both have palapas and sun beds, SPB has a much smaller beach area, VP has a larger, sandy beach area and the ocean is rockier for swimming, but you have access to beach next door at the Buenaventura; neither beach is comparable to Dreams, IMO one of if not the best beach in PV.

Pools: SPB nicer and larger pool areas, adults only pool, adults only Jacuzzis on the 2nd level, main pool w/swimup bar and plunge pool and plenty of seating; VP 2 smaller pool areas and limited seating.

Restaurants: SBP main restaurant no reservations needed for dinner and has 3 different menus (Mexican, Italian and Grill/Bistro) that they rotate during the week, the Italian and Japanese restaurants reservations are required; VP reservations are needed at both restaurants for dinner. The food is good at SPB, more dining options and no buffet; food at VP is comparable to fine dining in town but menus are limited and you also have access to buffet next door at Buenaventura.

Accommodations: SBP more modern and luxury accommodations; VP cozy boutique hotel, adults only and closer to town.

Activities: neither has much to offer in the way of activities on the beach or by the pool, if you stay at the VP you have access to the Buenaventura for evening shows and the outside pool/beach bar there is more social evenings; the lobby bars at both SPB and VP are generally quiet evenings.

Vendors are not a problem at either hotel and a simple 'no gracias' usually does the trick.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
313 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

JNSgraphic and all - thanks for all the input. I had looked up Garza Blanca, which looks nice too, but may be more than we can spend.

I'm still terribly torn. I'm basically driving myself crazy. I SO wanted to go to Dreams PV, but trying something new can be fun too....argh. Now even considering a property that can do AI or EP. With Villa, seems like we are close enough to walk to many good places. My husband doesn't even drink alcohol, but the convenience is a big factor in general. And we drink a TON of water so it needs to be readily available.

Can you clarify if the SPB and VP require the AI guests to sign a ticket after each order?

Balconies - it appears the VP may have less privacy, basically very close to others, but are the balconies at SPB 100% private?

Couple more questions..at either of these properties, are water bottles for the room included in all inclusive? I'm reading so many reviews, and seeing some posts about certain things in the room not being replenished, etc. Like coffee packs ???

Regarding Dining - by "limited menu" at VP, do you mean that only certain items on the list are available as AI or just generally they only offer 2-3 entrees, etc ? You mentioned a buffet at Buenaventura, which may come in handy if we want a fast breakfast some day...assuming a "fast" breakfast is probably not possible for an ala carte ?

As far as how the reservations work at SPB for the japanese & italian places, how do they take reservations?....example, can only line up the day you want it for, and do it at 8am, or you call a # or does a concierge help with this? Likewise, how does VP handle their reservations?

Thanks again!

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

We stayed at VP for the first time this year (the last 8 years we had stayed cheaply at Golden Crown Paradise but after several years of worsening conditions we opted to venture out a bit more). We stayed in a spa suite and loved the place...patio was adequately private, food was incredible, you do have to sign every time even if your on the AI plan....upside is that you do not have to wear the annoying "I am a tourist" bracelet! The refrigerator was kept well stocked every day with beers/water and coffee making supplies were always plentiful. During our 10 day stay we only encountered one day when the beach did a get a little rocky otherwise it was perfect. The pool is very nice but I do not recall any activities around it like you have at some other resorts.

We are early morning people so we did take advantage of the buffet next door at the BV and found it to be very good. The bloody Mary's are also excellent at the BV,oddly enough the only bars that seem active in the morning are those at the BV. Adults Only- No early morning bloody Mary's, but run next door to the family resort and the alcohol is flowing freely in the early morning...go figure, do children drive people to drinking?

Hope my comments help!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
313 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

sfalls -- thanks! And LOL on the alcohol flowing freely comment at the family resort : - )...that was a great LOL moment this Monday morning.

I may send you a PM with other VP specific questions.

Thanks!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

Both resorts you do need to sign at the restaurants each time because they both offer an all-inclusive option, not strictly AI. Balconies seem more private at VP, balconies at SPB have solid walls between them but are also curved and easier to see onto other people balconies from the rail; some suites at VP have Jacuzzis on balcony, Jacuzzis at SPB are inside 1 bedroom master suite.

SPB automatically leaves 2 bottles of water, beer and soda daily, replacing what you use, if you are in the room when they replenish you can ask for more or leave a note at either hotel. Coffee packets are not replenished at SPB, room service is available for coffee (et al) with a 10% surcharge of bill for delivery.

SPB has more dining options with 5 different menus between the 3 restaurants; VP 'limited' 2 menus 1 for each restaurant and a specialty theme night dinner, you also can make reservations at the Buenaventura for 1 ala carte dinner next door at their Brazilian restaurant and have access to the main buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a separate restaurant on the beach for lunch that is ala carte with a salad/dessert bar.

Reservations at SPB at the Italian or Japanese restaurants are made at the concierge desk at any time, for any night of the week, or if you take advantage of their 'butler service' the butler will make them for you; no need to get up at the crack of dawn and wait in line.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

Have u looked at now Amber or secrets vallarta great hotels. These two are part of the same chain as Dreams and a super location in PV

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,686 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice - considering Sunset plaza or villa premier

I walked thru Plaza Pelicanos last week (next door to Sunset Plaza). What I noticed most was the beach really stunk at the time I was there (smelled bad). It was very strong. I also don't care for the resort's location off that extremly busy and industrial feeling on the main drag - Medina Ascencio. So (without knowing anything about the specifics of the two resorts) I would pick Villa Premiere because of location myself.

suze