We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Facing the gauntlet

Blind Bay, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Facing the gauntlet

Hi, my husband and I heard some good things about Puerto Vallarta still being relatively safe and we were thinking of staying in the Nuevo Vallarta region because of the beaches being a little nicer. I read a bunch of stuff about the time share gauntlet at the airport in Puerto Vallarta and I am a bit turned off at how agressive the people are, grabbing at you and making demands about where you are staying etc..., pretending to be security. I'm not sure now and would like some other suggestions along the Pacific Mexico side as to some quiet, laid back destinations with a good swimming beach. Not into the nightlife or bars. Anyone been to Manzanillo?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Facing the gauntlet

I would not let this stop you from visiting a beautiful city and all the fine restaurants and tours this area has to offer.

Read the Top Questions on the right under Timeshare Sharks, there is a lot of valuable info there.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Facing the gauntlet

" .. we were thinking of staying in the Nuevo Vallarta region because of the beaches being a little nicer."

... you might wish to check out what's being posted there.

tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g154267-Nuevo_Vallart…

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Blind Bay, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Facing the gauntlet

Anything in particular?, there's like 10,000 topics.

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
650 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Facing the gauntlet

We have found that the timeshare people are very easy to get by, you just have to keep walking and if need be, politely say "no thank you" There is detailed info on this forum as to exactly how to navigate the airport-- it's very easy! .... We used to go to Acapulco and Zihuatanejo and the "sharks" there are much more relentless. Don't let that frighten you away from PV!! We have decided it's our favorite for MANY, MANY reasons!!!

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Facing the gauntlet

When I braved the dreaded "gauntlet" on October 30th, I think exactly 1 person spoke to me. I kept my eyes forward and walked straight out the doors. At least for me, just a smile and a firm no and shake of the head has served me well.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Facing the gauntlet

Most major tourist destinations in Mexico has the 'gauntlet', even if you are traveling to a smaller town you'll still have to go through the closest international airport.

It is really not a big deal, you shouldn't lose any sleep over

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,900 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Facing the gauntlet

It takes less than 10 seconds to walk through the timeshare area, so I don't see it as much of a deterrent to visiting somewhere I want to visit. I haven't heard anybody say the timeshare people have been aggressive in quite some time. They have never been aggressive with me, but they do try to call out.

I just went through about 3 weeks ago and no problem, I simply keep walking and maybe shake my head no while looking straight ahead. You know they are there, so you just keep walking.

I can't give advice on other areas on the Pacific side. Just know you will most likely pay more in travel expenses if you go south of PV.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Facing the gauntlet

I don't recall ever being bothered in Huatulco, you could try there. Great weather and beautiful bays.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Facing the gauntlet

They can't physically grab you. I always walk in the middle of the rooms, eyes straight ahead on my prize....the taxi booths located outside the shark tanks by the doors leading outside.

I used to smile and shale my head, "no" now I can't be bothered.

Really the shark tank walk through is a quick 7-10 sec walk,

Alberta
Level Contributor
325 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Facing the gauntlet

I have been to both PV and Manzanillo, and I'd choose PV for a couple of reasons. Beaches are way better in Nuevo. Plus there is more to do for excursions, restaurants etc. Manzanillo isn't a huge tourist destination. The gauntlet really isn't that bad, just keep on walking, in 1 minute it is done and your wonderful vacation begin s.

Mentioned in this post
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico