We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Hairs advice needed

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
467 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Hairs advice needed

Ok, so I despise the super broad questions we sometimes see here on TA, so forgive me if this one comes off that way. I think its pretty specific...

As stated in earlier post, my wife and I are taking her parents to PV next week for their first MX vacay. They are both approaching 70, but both full of P&V- aside from a couple of mild mobility things. Steep steps and a mile of walking is likely out. They are also Rider fans so Im going to try to keep pops and his green ensemble out of public view as much as possible.

I have some things planned for us, but Im likely out of tune with the senior-friendly side of PV. Staying at the trop (again), they will without doubt make some friends on the beach on blue-hair row (as do we... tansandy et al, lol!) but if anyone cares to throw out a suggestion or two for must-see's for mom and dad, Id love to hear them.

Thanks!

DJ

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,476 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

Since we're (almost) in that age range, but do have brown hair (natural --- yup), it's hard for me to relate to the "blue-hair" description, but have they been to the Botanical Gardens? We love the place.

Hope you all have fun.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

Do they like listening to live music, and what kind? I'm thinking they might enjoy Los Bambinos, Bobby Tansen, Chris Kenny. All music of their time...and live!

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

Hope you'd not ruling out Rhythm of the Night ? I think they would really enjoy it & if there was mobility issues out there the staff are great.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

That's not old ! I'm already over that hill and my only problems are the bruises I got after a small trip-up at Nacho Daddy dancing with Crazy Carol !

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
467 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

Thanks-

Yeah all good stuff. The gardens were on my mind, id love to take them to see Los Bambinos, had Caletas in mind but was struggling if we should go at night or during the day, and somehow I think youre never going to get old down there JR. Maybe time for a raicilla or seven this visit?

And I thought "blue hairs" was sort of clever..... maybe not. lol

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

Starting the last week of November, Los Bambinos will be performing until the beginning of April at the Roxy. Shows are at 8 pm on tuesdays, and I suggest getting there 20 to 30 minutes early to get the best seats. Loved their show...approx. 2 hours of music and they only took one break!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
467 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

Cool- thanks!!! I checked out the los bambinos website and it looks like the music would be up their alley for sure. Doesn't look like they are of the blow your head off variety.

Can you get tix ahead of time? I see the link to the roxy website doesn't work.....

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

You mentioned "a couple of mild mobility things". I'm not as old as your folks, but it wasn't easy for me to get around at the Botanical Gardens a few years ago. The zoo was even more of a challenge for me.

(BTW, I didn't think it was clever to refer to people as "blue hairs". Far from clever, IMO.)

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,679 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

What about some of the local tours? Like the Tuesday morning guided tour that does the sculptures/statues along the Malecon (it's free but with a requested donation to the library). Or one of the home tours? Something like that? You can find lots of stuff like that in the newspapers (Tribune or Mirror).

There's loads of people in the 60's, 70's and older who live, visit, and vacation in Vallarta, so that hardly sets them apart.

suze

Edited: 20 November 2013, 16:32
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Hairs advice needed

deeja -

I'm a little confused by this banderas news article....but they're still playing there, no matter the name.

www.banderasnews.com/nightlife/club-roxy.htm

But you can e-mail them directly and ask about tickets, you will get an answer.

edit -- the e-mail link isn't correct. I have it....I'll get it for you...I e-mailed them recently about something else.

We bought our tickets last year directly from them when they were doing one song at a time in the south side restaurants. Of course you can always buy from the Roxy in person later in the day.

I promise your parents will like them. No boom boom. They even do Beatles....it's rare these days to get to hear things like "I want to hold your hand" live!

Edited: 20 November 2013, 16:43