We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fruit in season

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fruit in season

Coming towards the end of a bumper pineapple harvest, although still a lot around, I've seen 4 for 20 pesos, not sure what I would do with 4 pineapples ? Papayas and Avocados are now in season.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fruit in season

Pineapple chutney, pineapple pie, pineapple upside down cake, grilled pineapple salsa.....now if I just knew what to do with all the persimmons I have.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
936 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fruit in season

SpotCat

Persimmons lower your colesterol. I can never find them here in Arizona.

What I don't know what to do with are mangos. I don't know how to get them off the seed without turning them to mush on my hands.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fruit in season

You can't find persimmons in Arizona because they are all in SoCal! I'm not a huge fan, but I'm trying to use them-steamed pudding, persimmon cookies and the like.

I eat avocados almost every day. Would happily eat pineapple and papaya more often. I love the fruit in Mexico!

Your mangos get mushy? That's Mother Nature telling you it's time to make margaritas.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 18:20
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fruit in season

Looking forward to the fresh aguacate when we get there in a couple of weeks!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fruit in season

saguaro - I bet you're talking about peeling before cutting, because if you peel it first it will be slippery to hang onto for cutting. But, that's how I like to do it because I think it's faster than cutting it off the seed first. So, I use a folded paper towel to hang onto any peeled portions while I cut off 4 portions around the seed. Works like a charm for me.

But, I'm sure you can find videos of how to cut first then peel, it just seems like a longer process to me.

Thanks for the info JR. I had forgotten that last December we bought perfect Avocados and Pineapples, so good to be reminded that they're in season.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fruit in season

With pineapple you can elaborate a drinking called TEPACHE. it's probably that some vallartenses knows the process of the fermentation of the pineapple. but the effect of drinking tepache is the same or maybe better than drinking one or several beers

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fruit in season

The best way to eat mangos is sitting in a bath tub.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fruit in season

"The best way to eat mangos is sitting in a bath tub."

Good one!! :-) And for us, during our late-fall/early-winter stays at Los Arcos Suites -- while in the pool, catching/fetching and enjoying them as they fell from the large tree overhanging the pool!!

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fruit in season

Avocados =Aguacate= in Spanish . even There is a street in P V center, running north-south, called Aguacate. When buying avocados ask for the 'Aguacate criollo" better taste, creamy and soft texture. And if you like Tamales, there is no better combination that one or two tamales and a guacamole made from aguacate criollo. Buen provecho.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fruit in season

Saw Persimmons at Baca today!