We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ontario, canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Topic
Bank

Just received an email from condo owner saying that we should have photo-copies of our passport to get pesos from the bank. We always use the ATM when we are there is there a problem with this as I really don't want to have to go into the bank.

Thanks Again

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,769 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank

If you use the ATM then the info from the condo owner is moot. That info is for when you are taking cash to the actual bricks-and-mortar bank to exchange.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank

Plus you're Canadian and your dollars do not need a passport to exchange :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,769 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank

We still need to use the passport inside the bank, JR. At least I've had to the last 2 times I had CAD to exchange inside the bank. Didn't need it at the cambios for CAD, but in the bank you still did.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,262 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank

That information is correct only if you go into a bank and make an exchange of USD/Canadian for peso. Nothing to do with ATMs.

Cambios have gone either way for me, some ask for ID, the one by Elsa's on Olas Altas never has.

suze

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank

I haven't had to change cash, but I did understand the passport was only required for US$s not CAN$s

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,769 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank

They insisted on me having either a copy they could keep or making a copy of my original the last time I exchanged my CAD cash inside the bank. It's likely for their records, I didn't question the need for it.

I've never been asked to show ID at the cambios for CAD. The last time a cambio asked to see ID was when I was cashing a traveler's check.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,439 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank

From all our experiences, over the years we've been going to Vallarta, when exchanging within a bank ... we have always been asked for picture ID (and have used a passport), to exchange Cdn$$ (whether in the form of cash or traveller's cheques) to Mexican pesos. At ScotiaBank, a copy of the passport's picture page is made at the first transaction, at some other banks, such a copy of the passport will be asked for.

Re: cambios. Have only been asked for picture ID when exchanging Cdn$$ cash to pesos at a cambio once .. a few years ago, at the small window on Amapas, across from the Tropicana. But when exchanging Cdn$$ travellers cheques, we have always been asked for picture ID.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bank

It seems that Bank of America just withdrew they're used-to-be-wonderful policy of no withdrawal fees at Santander. Oh the good old days...

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,262 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bank

Booo-hiss :(

It's true. It happend on Nov 8th. I tested it by doing the exact same withdrawl from my BoA checking account at Santanders, like I always do in PV. I took 3000 peso both times. It cost me $229.49 on Nov 7th. It cost me $228.14 + a $6.84 fee on Nov 13th.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bank

With any third world country, not just Mexico, it's a good idea to have a couple copies of your passport page. Also, if you have a scanner, scan it as a PDF file. Email it, along with any phone numbers, credit card numbers and if you use them, travelers check numbers to a web based email account in your name. ie. outlook, yahoo. That way in an emergency you can access. I also carry a couple of extra passport photos. Most likely none of this will never be needed but a touch of paranoia never hurts.