We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

My niece and her fiancee have 8AM-4PM in PV i think on December 24 - are there bank ATM's where the cruise ships come in??

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

This map shows ATMs at that location. http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html

I haven't been to that spot, but as they say, a tourist and his money are soon parted, so I'm sure they have provided a way for you to get pesos.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

Most cruise ships I've been on -- in the Caribbean and along the Mexican Pacific Coast -- have currency exchanges on board where you can exchange dollars for the local currency of whatever port/country you're in.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

"currency exchanges on board" probably at a terrible exchange rate, Just exit the Marine Terminal, walk one block south to the Soriana Supermarket, purchase some water or what you will, pay in dollars and you'll get pesos as change. Or next door is an OXXO store with an ATM :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,695 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

Super Soriana is a really good suggestion (you beat me to it, JR) as they give an excellent exchange rate! As good as banks without the hassle.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

I doubt Pto. Vallarta is the only or first port-of-call in Mexico during their cruise. If that is the case, they should be able to get pesos from their other ports-of-call and/or have some left over from these previous ports. Otherwise if they have used up their allotment, then as others have suggested the Soriana is an excellent suggestion.

¡Se diviertán!

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

This is a specific situation where I'd suggest getting peso from your own bank at home before the trip (which I do sometimes myself, and yes I pay a fee and get a lesser exchange rates than on the ground in PV, but sometimes it's worth it). suze

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

I would agree with suze to just get pesos at home. Why bother wasting time on such a short visit. I will be starting my next visit with a supply from my bank. Exchange from bank is worth it compared to time wasted.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,470 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

The closest actual banks to the Cruise Ship Terminal is at Plaza Peninsula, about a 15 minute walk or so south on the same side of the Highway. There are a couple of ATMs at the entrance to the Soriana supermarket (very close) and in Walmart (right across from where the ships dock).

I´m not sure about Soriana´s policy with respect to the amount of change they will give you if you buy something with US dollars, but I know that Walmart (across the Highway from the Terminal) will only give a certain percentage of change in pesos (I think it´s 10%) if you pay in US dollars. So, for example, you can´t buy one bottle of wáter in Walmart with a large US bill in order to get pesos.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

Also should be noted is the fact that some ATM's run out of cash, if alot of use. Since coming Dec 24th, that should be taken into consideration. I would be sure to have cash before leaving the boat!

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting pesos when on a cruise & in PV for just one day -

I'm just thinking of their precious short time in Vallarta, and on Christmas Eve day no less. I wouldn't want to spend oen minute of my time seeking out an ATM, bank, or cambio (and especially if they've never been there before and don't know their way around).

Plus when you get if from the bank in advance you can specify smaller bills, which is another benefit over using an ATM (big bills) on a short stay. An ATM likely isn't going to give them that 50 note you need for the taxi driver (just an example) or 20s for tips.

suze

Edited: 27 November 2013, 17:04