We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

New Hope...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

Traveling to PV first week in January. We like fine dining - seafood -etc.

I'm debating on going the AI route, or venture out to restauants every evening. My fear is the cost associated with taxi's and restuarants.

Can someone provide advice?

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

Yes travel costs could add to your cost of eating out or it could be ZERO but we would need to know where you are staying to help you with that ?

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,584 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

It depends where you eat and exactly how "fine" of dining you choose. Taxis are inexpensive, depends exactly where to where you are going but 50 peso gets you from south Hotel Zone into Zona Romntica/Olas Altas for example.

Some specific examples of my lunch/dinner tabs earlier this month:

La Piazetta - margarita, mixed salad, ravioli w/ meat sauce, plus tip 340 peso

Casa Fantasia - margarita, mixed salad, shrimp scampi, plus tip 380 peso

Cafe de Olla - margarita, beef sopes, flan, plus tip 250 peso

Those places are mid-range in my view, far from the fanciest, but nice restaurants.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

Thinking of either Garza Preserve... or Barcelo. Both close to downtown

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

One of the reasons we like to travel to PV is that we find that dining is very inexpensive compared to home. I had an exquisitely prepared yellow fin tuna at Mariscos Polos, an off menu special, for only 190 pesos. It depends, though, on what you mean by fine dining. Many of the small family owned restaurants are not in large fancy buildings. The restaurant itself may be humble, but the food will be delicious and well prepared.

Transportation is cheap. We usually use the buses during the day, and take a taxi home if it's late. Taxis are cheap too, compared to the US.

edit: I didn't see your answer until I posted. I don't consider Barcelo close to downtown. I'm not sure what a taxi would cost, but someone will chime in.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 15:33
New Hope...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

We love humble - family owned restaurants! Looking for good local food.

Can you recommend where to stay? I'll admit, we are spoiled. Like 4-5star properties.

Saskatoon, Sk.
Level Contributor
298 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

Read the reviews on Barcelo. Sickness reported at this time of year...every year. I would suggest Dreams, Sunset Plaza, Now Amber.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

Garza Preserve... or Barcelo

the bus to town is just 7 pesos.

|Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
836 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

Hi Eileen H,

We would highly recommend staying somewhere in the south side of town. Here is a link to some very good maps of Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas:

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

There are many great restaurants within walking distance in the south side. There are also many wonderful places to stay. We choose to not go the AI route so we can experience as many restaurants as we can. Our favorite place to stay is Casa Isabel. It is a small(14 room) "boutique" hotel With a great view of the city and bay. Most of the rooms have full kitchens so we don't have to eat out every meal if we don't want to. If you search Hotels and then B&B's and Inns on this forum page, you will find info on lots of other choices too.

Hope you have a great time in PV!

Happy Travels, The Cheeseheads

New Hope...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

JR - You appear to be the expert! What is your favorite hotel??

I've read Garza has construction going on... Barcelo is run down. Dreams has limited rooms w/balconies.

We want to stay in a nice area, not too congested - close enough to town

Can you help me decide? I'm not set on AI

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fine Dining downtown, how much will it cost?

When I think of the words fine dining, I'm thinking white tablecloths, the highest quality of service and knock your socks off wonderful tasting food. But in PV you can have a dish that you'll never forget in the most modest of restaurants, or little hole in the wall. So, it's good that you're open to those.

My favs of the little reasonably priced places are El Brujo, Langostino Loco (specifically the Shrimp Tequila), Encanto....they treat you like royalty & they have very reasonable prices, and Tony's Please. That's just a few.

I also like Vitea for great tasting food but more pricey, but it's not outlandishly priced either.

Barcelo is farther away from town than Garza Blanca, but really if you don't mind a 20 minute bus ride....Garza Blanca really isn't bad in terms of time and it's AI optional. It's also a beautiful ride on the coast.

Barcelo is more like 30 minutes. It's in a beautiful area but speaking for myself, I wouldn't consider it due to their consistent winter illness problems every year. At least not until they have a couple winters without a high number of people reviewing and contributing to the forum, saying they got sick. It's just too much of a gamble for me. And it's not worth asking why they have this problem....nobody really has the answer and it's been debated ad nauseum. :-) It just is, so you can read past winter reviews and decide for yourself.

If you don't need to be on a beach, look at Casa Isabel. It's top notch, Mexican decor, in town and has a dreamy view of the bay and town. It's on a hillside so sometimes people use a cab to get up and down, but not always if they are able to do a hill. Cabs are cheap.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 16:41