We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Taco Stand?

Wilsonville, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Best Taco Stand?

We'll be visiting La Villa Premier again in a few weeks and are looking for a great local taco stand. In the past we've been nervous about trying a stand due to health concerns. Do you have any suggestions for cheap, fantastic tacos?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,402 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Taco Stand?

http://vallartainfo.com/streetfood.html

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k696317…

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Taco Stand?

The stand that is closest to you with the most local people crowded around it every day. Seriously :) suze

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Taco Stand?

If your just jumping in Pepe's Tacos and Pancho's Takos are good starting points.

They aren't really stands per say more of a small taco restaurant, or an overgrown stand depending how you look at it.

Either way the cooking methods are the same as the actual stands that are not hooked into the city's infrastructure.

My Fav of these two is Pepe's but that's more because of tradition for me.

Once you have tried one of these two then go on to the map link provided above. It's a great map of the best stands on the southside. I plan on carrying the map with me this trip more to try and get the names straight.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Taco Stand?

but they're staying at Villa Premiere in the Hotel Zone (not on the southside),

suze

wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Taco Stand?

For the best shrimp taco in all of Vallarta in my opinion, go to Marisma Tacos. On Naranjo, between V. Carranza & Basilio Badillo. After you enjoy a few tacos or quesadillas, walk leisurely back to the Malecon and enjoy the evening. And if you need a cerveza, there is a deposito right across the street from the taco stand. Enjoy

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Taco Stand?

Can't provide names of the stands, but you will be a short walk away from some good stands on Uruguay, near Ley's supermarket. It's been quite a while since we've eaten at some of the ones there, but we did eat (and often) at a few of the stands in this area, when we stayed at the Rosita (and ones that were located at Hidalgo Park - but not sure if there are any left operating in that area?).

See street map.

http://vallartainfo.com/n_downtown.html

(edit to correct a typo)

Edited: 02 December 2013, 19:05
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Taco Stand?

Try El Barracuda... not a taco stand but a very affordable and inexpensive restaurant on the beach, 2 doors down from the Villa Premiere next door to the Buenaventura Hotel; open for lunch and dinner daily (closed Mondays) and cash only.

www.elbarracuda.com

There are other local eateries a few blocks south of the hotel... Rico Mac Taco and Salsa Mexican for some real authentic local flavors, both are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and also very inexpensive.

Ontario's...
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Taco Stand?

Great question. Have actually asked that myself quite a while back. I used the taco stand map last winter & it worked great. I got to visit almost half of them. My 2 favourites were Tacos El Flaco & Marismas. I too never bothered eating from stands due to the risk of Monties Revenge. But I educated myself on here & it worked like a charm. Lots of good tips of where to eat & where not to eat. I have a whole new list from these threads & its going to be great to discover new ones plus re visit my favourites starting in about 10 days.

JNS. Thanks for the link to Barracuda, duly noted & I love the location. Menu looks yummy. No biggie but do you recall the price of a beer?

Good luck HotMomo. Look after the list & it will look after you. Cheers. Kenneth.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 20:55
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Taco Stand?

kenny g : last year (Nov 2012) I think the beers were 25 or 30 pesos (around $2US)... we had dinner for 2 plus 3 beers each for around $40US

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Taco Stand?

JNS ... that's hardly dining at a street stand's price.

The OP was seeking some suggestions for cheap and fantastic tacos, and there are some good stands in the city's downtown, and many more in the city's south side. They don't serve beer, but great, warm and tasty food though!!