We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
936 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

I would like to know from anyone who has traveled to PV with a cat in the cabin of the plane. Any problems? Did you have to tranquilize your cat? Did your cat meow in the plane? US Airways carry on regulations for the carrier are 17" long X 16 wide and 10" tall. They say they animal should be able to stand up and turn around. My cat is 17" from neck to start of tail. and 12" standing from the floor to his shoulders. US Air no longer allow pets in baggage or cargo.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 23:46
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
992 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

I've never taken animals on a plane but we were returning from a trip a few yrs ago & 3 passengers had pets under their seats. 1 dog, 2cats. I don't remember them meowing much but the young fellow beside us had a bit of a problem when the cat went to the bathroom in the carrier. He said he had something in the carrier to soak up the wetness but apparently it wasn't enough as the bottom of the carrier was wet. Other than that there wasn't a issue. I believe our flight was Vancouver to Ontario, so it was a fairly long plane ride.

I'm sure others will chime in that have had experience bringing pets. Good Luck!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

I brought my cat to PV when we moved here 3 years ago. She was in a soft sided carrier. She was quiet and not too nervous on the trip. I did put a collar and small leash on her to take through security as I had to carry her through and worried that she might jump from my arms. I did not feed her the night before but water was provided. Make your cats medical records are up to date. Even though the 2 year rabies vaccine is used in the States the shot must have been given this current year.

Good Luck

btw ZsaZsa loves it here

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
936 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

Nadadearest Thank you. We are also planning to move to PV, hopefully in the spring. Thank you for the heads up on having to carry your cat through security I didn't know that.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

Through the years, I've brought 3 different cats from Chicago to PV and back. Pre-travel, the best advice I received was from the people in the cat dept. at a large pet supply store like Petsmart.

None of my cats have ever meowed on the plane, but they have gotten pretty nervous with all of the noise and commotion in the airport terminals. The 2 cats that I used to have would just sleep on the plane or sit in the carrier and look around a bit. Unfortunately, my current cat has scratched me when I've taken him out of the carrier and walked through the x-ray machine while holding him. I've also had the "bathroom" problem while on the plane, so I put a puppy pad over the towel that's on the bottom of the carrier. When it's necessary, I take him to the lavatory and change the pad.

I doubt that any reputable vet. would agree to "tranquilize" your pet for your trip, but one doctor suggested that I give the cat 1/2 of a tsp. of Children's Benadryl liquid. That didn't work for me, though. When I tried to get the liquid into his mouth, he just spit it all out.

My biggest problem was after my cat and I arrived at the PV airport 2 years ago. When I got to the animal control office, the supervisor there made a big deal about the fact that there was no federal ID # under the vet's signature. I doubt that you will have a problem with your cat's height, but it's hard to say. Be sure to follow the airline's instructions about how many days you have to get the international travel certificate before your travel date. What I mean is that some airlines give you a 5-day window and others allow 7 days or more.

Best of luck to you!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

Not "tranquilize" as in knock them out completely, but yes I'd definitely consider kitty-valium as prescribed by a vet. It just seems like a kind thing to do, so the cat doesn't stress out too bad. I have seen cats and dogs lots of times on PV (Seattle) planes. None have ever made a racket. I wouldn't have known they were there except noticing them being carried-on.

suze

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

I frequently travel between Alberta and PEI with a carry-on cat. I have tried every trick in the book but the best success is with getting a sedative pill from the vet. (My vet won't prescribe a sedative without knowing the cat) That is is the best way to avoid the bathroom problem. Sometimes I have used portions of children's gravol, ask your vet clinic for correct amounts.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

<<I doubt that any reputable vet. would agree to "tranquilize" your pet for your trip, >>

Actually it's quite appropriate to medicate a cat with a tranquilizer (sedative) before air travel.

The three drugs typically used alone or in some combination are phenobarbital, acepromazine, and alprazolam. Obviously, you would need to get these from your veterinarian and your cat should have a through exam to ensure that it is safe for air travel.

It would also be a good idea to try whatever is prescribed at home prior to the trip so you can gauge how they work in your particular cat, and for how long the effect will last.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

Oh, great. Something even worse than a crying baby. A cat with an overfull bladder. My allergies are going to love sitting next to you. Ah-choo.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
909 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

Our vet will not prescribe sedatives if the animal is being shipped unobserved, only if a person will be with them throughout the trip.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with a cat in the cabin of plane.

I find it amazing that the airlines won't give us peanuts anymore, because someone on the flight may be allergic to them. But they'll load on a fleabag and everyone with an allergy will have to suffer. My nose is stuffing up and my eyes are closing shut just thinking of it. Give me a peanut!! Man, I'm going to get beat-up on this one. But hey everyone, enjoy.