We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of Avacadoes

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
925 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Price of Avacadoes

Question regarding the local cost of avacados. DW and I are in a deep discussion to the cost as compared to Canada. Currently we usually pay around $60pesos to $80 pesos converted from our buck for one avacado. She thinks its the same in PV but I think they go for around $20 pesos each or less in PV. I guess because Mexico is the biggest exporter, DW thinks the cost is about the same anywhere in North America.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of Avacadoes

Are you saying that pay 5 - 6 dollars for ONE avocado?? Here in Oregon we pay anywhere from fifty cents to two dollars per avocado.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of Avacadoes

Thx Terricks my math is off. 60 cents to a dollar for one in Canada and around 16 -20 cents in PV. Canadian buck is around 12 pesos.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of Avacadoes

I have seen prices as high as 3 bucks in Edmonton. But I don't usually buy for much more than 1-1.50.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of Avacadoes

Aguacates (avocados) are about 8-15 pesos / kg in PV. It gets cheaper around market on Camichin between Carranza and Cardenas at east edge of Zona Romantica.

Sample pricing: 5-20 pesos /kg of bananas (tiny ones seem to be more expensive), 5-10 pesos /kg of oranges. The large produce store at the corner of Camichin and Cardenas sells 1L of freshly squeezed orange juice for 15 pesos.

Mentioned in this post
Zona Romantica
Zona Romantica
3,190 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of Avacadoes

Since we are talking avocados, I have a quick and easy "cheater" way of making guacamole. Once while I was chopping tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro, etc. to make guacamole I realized that those were all the ingredients of the salsa (refrigerated not jarred) I had bought at the grocery store. Now I just mash my avocados, add fresh salsa, lime or lemon juice and salt to taste.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of Avacadoes

When avocadoes here go to 99 cents each I stock up. They haven't gone cheaper than that in about 5 years, and are usually about $1.49 to $1.99 each.

That's why I eat more of them in PV and less of them at home...that and the supermarket produce managers seem to be clueless with respect to avocado ripeness, and keep throwing away the ripe ones claiming they're rotten, so all you're left with are the unnaturally bright green unripe ones. :-(

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of Avacadoes

Avocado season has started, pick-ups on the street are selling a bag of about 5-6 avocados for 10 pesos, these are a small Hass variety, about 1/2 the size of what you're used to seeing and rounder, but I discovered the the pit is also very small, like a large marble, so they have a lot of 'meat' and a great deal.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of Avacadoes

BTW when shopping at the market, if you want a ripe one, ask for "Para Hoy" if you want one for tomorrow, ask for "Para Mañana"

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price of Avacadoes

Good idea for guacamole using salsa.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply