We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice/insight

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
196 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice/insight

A buddy and I are planning a trip in February. After spending 53 days in Cabo over the past 3 years, time for a change. Looking at Puerto Vallarta, DR, St. Maarten, or Puerto Rico. Our fallback would be PDC/Cancun, but would like to try something outside of Mexico.

We're two 40 year old single (straight) guys, so not looking for the family/honeymooners scene. Looking for a great beach, nice pools (swim-up bar), good people watching, and close to the action (beach bars, clubs, etc.). Not to concerned about activities. Pretty much lay on the beach/pool having a few drinks during the day, and head out to a restaurant and/or some bars at night. A place that caters to singles would be ideal, but is probably a long-shot.

Any advice on Puerto Vallarta? Any resorts stand out as being in the middle of the action, and not overrun with families/couples?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,470 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice/insight

Well, you could focus on the adult only places like Villa Premiere, Secrets Vallarta Bay or Golden Crown Paradise to be inside town and on the beach and be away from the ankle biters. Of the 3 I think Villa Premiere would be my choice (personal choice) because it's not a mega resort and has a nice boutique feel, plus you get full access to amenities at the Buenaventura next door...and they have some really nice poolside atmosphere and it tends to be a bit more social (in comparison, VP tends to be more laid back and relaxing).

Since you haven't specifically mentioned an all inclusive atmosphere, is that what you're looking for or are you open to AI-optional places...or even a condo? I could see two guys enjoying a condo atmosphere close to town, as condos tend to be far less overrun with small kid families than many resorts are. And PV has a really large condo rental pool surrounding the walkable zones.

Here is a link to maps to get a feel of the zones - walkable to nightlife and restaurants you should focus on the south side/zona romantica areas and el centro/downtown primarily, then hotel zone or Conchas Chinas as a secondary option that isn't quite walkable but is easily accessible by bus or taxi.

It's hard to give really detailed recommendations without a budget, so the 3 hotels noted above are listed in what I'm pretty sure are levels of pricing from upper to lower end.

Level Contributor
47,125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice/insight

Puerto Vallarta has everything you want. I'm no expert on the resorts, I just stay at a small local hotel or rent an apartment.

(I've been to Cabo, DR, Jamaica, Hawaii, etc.)

Edited: 06 December 2013, 17:54
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,133 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice/insight

I agree with jenny---would def recommend a condo close to or on los muertos beach.

restaurants, bars, action on the beach

look into plaza mar, plaza dorada, vista del sol

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
196 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice/insight

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice/insight

Hey Chip, two single straight guys I would imagine checking out some Ladies would be on the agenda. ;)

If it is then I would weigh carefully the positives and negatives of a condo versus a resort.

Your gonna want a social place close to town Condos are awesome don't get me wrong but they do not tend to attract a lot of single travelers. The social aspect of the swim up bars and lobby bars does not exist.

I do not know what to suggest as far as an adults only but did really enjoy the social scene at Canto del Sol (i stayed there as a single guy a fair bit back in the day) families are a good mix of the guests there.

Most Resorts are pretty strict about letting guests of guests on site. Get to know the night bellman and treat him real good if you would like to invite new friends back to your room that are not staying at the resort already. ;)

This is where a condo would be a plus as its easier to have guests.

if I were in your shoes I would pick a resort.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice/insight

I have to agree with Bradical70 on night life. Having done the condo route for years and now for worry free vacations we started on the A.I. experience. Every night was wonderfull at the resorts because different people would come and go every few days. Example Bradical70 gave about Canto del Sol was correct with regards to your requirements for a social scene.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice/insight

The Buenaventura has a very social beach bar (included with the AI option) that is open late and walking distance to town; you also have access to it if your staying next door at the Villa Premiere, adults only, more couple and more on the quiet side.

8. Re: Need advice/insight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:16