We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bright
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

Happy to report that the Mayan Palace still retains its title as the roughest timeshare presentation in the biz. Luckily also the best paying. Went in expecting the worst and despite the 5+ hours it took, it wasn't all that painful. Managed to get out without any heated exchanges, except for minor one at the very end, as by that time I was getting bored and fatigued and no longer willing to banter back and forth. Much of the banter I have to admit I did enjoy. Our first sales lady that sat through much of it, had to laugh at the end saying that it was like a mexican bull fight, watching the experienced closers and I battle it out, but in a calm, strategic manner.

It took 2 hours just for us to get through breakfast and start the mandatory 90 minute clock. At that point we knew it was going to be an extra lengthy ordeal. Btw, excellent buffet! By far the longest we have ever spent at a presentation. In comparison, we did the Garza Blanca a few days ago and were out in a little over 2 hours and with only 1 closer to face.

So for those willing to face such a task, a couple of tips before heading off to a TS presentation. Bring a couple credit cards, preferably platinum or gold to qualify for higher pay out. Shop around and negotiate for top $$. I highly recommend David, a middle age guy who works at a tequila tasting store just down from the mcdonalds at the start of the malecon. He is as trustworthy of an opc as I have ever found. Never pay a deposit despite their requests. Some of the best offers can be had at the airport and always make them throw in free taxi to your hotel, just because you can.

We received 8200 pesos for our mayan palace presentation. Most do not pay that much, especially for those of us who don't already own a timeshare. If you are going to spend a large amount of time doing a couple of TS presentations on vacation, you will want to invest a bit of time talking to a few different OPCs ahead of time to assure that you are paid the most possible for your valuable vacation time if you so choose to "waste it".

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

Congratulations for surviving the Shark Tank

TX
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

Hey, whatever floats your boat. I personally can't conceive of spending hours of my vacation this way. I'll admit we've done it in the past, but have absolutely zero desire to even consider doing it again. (Heck, we even purchased a timeshare years ago - worst investment ever, and ended up selling it for pennies on the dollar.) Anyway, you survived and lived to tell the tale so that's a good thing. I think most people just want to relax and enjoy being in paradise, instead of engaging in a battle of wits and/or a standoff.

bright
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

I agree, not for most. But for those people who may never be able to afford a vacation here, it could be the answer. Also for all those who are considering attending one, they would be best served knowing what all the pros and cons are. Most of what I see online is fear mongering, and very little about the upside of knowing how to play the timeshare game.

My eyes light up when I enter the "shark tank" at the airport. Wish I could go through weekly, lol.

My goal is to help spread Obama policies across borders. Taking from the rich (timeshare mafia), and redistributing to the common man (PV small biz owners).

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

if you have spare time on vacation $1600pesos per hour for some aggravation is nothing to sneeze at...

Sounds like you did well...:)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

Totally agree.If you are earning 11$ an hour back home.A Timeshare presentation sounds like a good deal.I met a couple in Cabo last August who went to Cabo using a free borrowed Condo and 500$ spending money.They went to 3 presentations to go on a snorkeling cruise,a fishing trip and get 300$ spending money.Not everyone is a high wage earner

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

Haven't played the game in Mexico, but did it on a previous trip to Maui. We'd been there several times and had a totally free day, so we did 3 presentations. We kept the total time to about 6 hours and came out with $400 in restaurant & tour vouchers plus $150 cash. A nice bonus to an already great deal: We paid $750 for 5 nights at the Westin, $100 resort credit, rental car ($185 value) for 5 days and free valet parking. Our room's "normal" price was $329 a night, parking $20 a day, so I figure we came out about $1300 ahead on that alone.

bright
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

Great to hear some other success stories.

Once mastered, these presentations can be almost painless. Over half of them that we do now, we get out without much fuss at all. I go in with knowing what their plan is and how I can counter it with MY vacation formula that is less expensive than what they can offer. Not much they can say when you can diagram charts and numbers next to their charts and show yours cost less money. That's my tactic anyways.

bright
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

OregonJohn, 3 presentations in one day....You are my GOD :) lol

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

Haha Kerry. You and my old dog! LOL

Langley BC
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mayan Palace TS Presentation 8000 pesos/5+ hours later

The Mayan is one of the if not the toughest, I felt like I'd been thru a meat grinder and vowed never again :)

Edited: 16 December 2013, 00:51