We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV zoo

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
PV zoo

i thought i had it saved somewhere but i can't seem to find it... so sorry about posting this again....

We will be staying at the canto del sol on the 28th for 11 nights. We will be wanting to go to the zoo while we are there. What is the easiest way to get there? i know they have a site with prices, as we will want to feed the animals and have my son hold one at the end :) What is the best way to get a hold of them as my son is celiac ( Gluten free) and we will need to bring in food with us for him to eat while we are there. I can't seem to find a email that works? There will be 5 of us going so a cab will be out unless we can get a van, but might want to try the bus to get there?

thanks for any help you experts can provide me on this :)

1. Re: PV zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 04:08
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PV zoo

You can take a bus or cab to the south side to catch the bus south at Basilio Badillo and Constitucion. It will be white and orange and will say Boca or Mismaloya, or both...but no worries....those buses are the only ones there. I can't name the bus from your hotel to the south....I'll make a mistake, but get to Basilio however you desire and ride the bus the rest of the way.

25 minutes or so later, get off the bus at Barcelo Resort, where a majority of people will disembark. Cross the road and take the road that forks right next to the river. You'll walk through the village for about 15 to 20 minutes and will come to the zoo on your left.

I would not contact them ahead of time regarding your son being Celiac. I would take what you need and tell them he has a special diet and you brought his food. They have now opened a nice cafe halfway through the zoo and actually you may find some additional things he can eat....at least potato chips and ice cream.

They are very picky about what food is brought in due to the animal's diet, so that's why I say just wait until you're there and explain, plus they're hard to communicate with on the website. Or you could have him eat the food first, and then buy him chips or ice cream as a snack.

Zoo link below.......under comments at the top of the page....click on packages and you'll see the various prices. Some parts of the site are in US and some are in Pesos. They do take credit cards.

Have a great time!

http://www.zoologicodevallarta.com/zooi.html

Edited: 15 December 2013, 22:17
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV zoo

awesome thanks for all that great info. i am SAVING this post, lol so i don't lose it! My plan is to have breakfast at the resort and then go right after breakfast, so i know by 11ish he will be hungry again, so i didn't want him to eat crap as much as possible,lol i will buy him something while there but hoped there would be more choices then chips and ice cream,lol Not sure how long it usually takes to get through the whole thing and i want to get him the package where he can pet a animal but i am good with a basic pack. I know he won't last till we get done the zoo and get going for lunch, so i want to be prepared...

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PV zoo

Their cafe has a lot of offerings. They have eggs fixed any way you like with add in's, Quesadillas , Chicken Tacos, BBQ Chicken Wings, Hamburgers, French Fries, rice, beans. Much more but can't remember. Sorry didn't mean to give the impression they didn't have other food. They even have an air conditioned section and an outdoor section...looking over the big cat areas.

I would plan on at least 3 hours within the zoo, more if you eat in their cafe. That gives you a leisurely visit.

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PV zoo

As I recall this past summer, it's 100 Pesos per person to enter and 400 additional Pesos for the most basic animal encounter with a baby tiger and the monkeys. It's just 50 Pesos for a bag of food which really is a must for kids, too. You can buy the additional package anytime...so pay the entry fee and bag of food and go through and then decide what you want to do at the end is what we did. They did search my backpack at the entry gate where you pay and I agree that they would probably question you bringing in any food that could possibly have an adverse effect on the animals. I only had extra clothes and rain gear during the rainy season so no big deal. It's a decent hike for a little one and down hills and you may want to bring some bug spray, too. Petting the babies will be the highlight of the young ones trip...I guarantee!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PV zoo

Ocixem is so right......insect repellent ...and before you enter. And buy food no matter what. They're also dividing their animal encounters differently and by price now, so you really can't tell until you get there and see what they offer you. The website isn't always accurate and the animals they have to interact with can vary.

Also, ask to see the size of the "babies" before you buy. By 4 months they're big and want to play with you like a 150 pound house cat would play with a toy. At that age they put them on a leash, but it's still hard to pet them if they would rather play.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
901 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PV zoo

I love the zoo but payed extra to pet/play with a cute tiger. The tiger was on a chain, huge and asleep/drugged so it was a nothing experience do to it's size. So for the money I would check first to make sure they are really babies.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PV zoo

ok thx! so we will buy the silver package as that is 50 us and with the 10 to enter and 40 to buy the food it works out to the same right... or is the exchange rate better right now that it would work out cheaper to pay separate for the entrance and bag of food?

i agree with the size of the cub, may be to much so we will have to see once we are there...

regarding the food, i knew they served more as i did read that on the site but i didn't know how much of that was actually gluten free. chicken tacos are they corn shells/ tortillas?, hamburgers ( won't be) and chicken wings are they breaded, etc... see so i would have no idea and i have to be prepared in case it's not as i agree it will be a good 3-4 hrs there and he will be starving by then! So i hope with a note stating that he is gluten free and bringing a few items won't be a issue... the email on their site doesn't work at all, either.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PV zoo

oh and if we did decide to pet the animals seeing they are smaller, where would we pay extra for that? do they have a area there that you can pay?

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: PV zoo

You can pay for the animal experience at the same place you pay your entry fee. The petting area is actually on the back side of the entrance and honestly we didn't even notice it being there until we got to the end of the loop as you pay and immediately walk up the hilly walkway. The entry fee+food bag+lowest petting option should come to $550 Pesos or a shade less than $43 US. Personally, I'd just pay in cash when you get there and see what you're getting into. There are usually others in the petting cage before you so you can get a feel for the situation and the animal. My friend played with a baby tiger, actually, and it was a bit too aggressive for her liking so they brought out a different one that was a bit more playful.