We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra time at airport

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Extra time at airport

We have to wait at the airport a few hours for a family member. Is there somewhere close by to relax?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra time at airport

If you cross over the walking bridge, there's a killer shrimp burrito spot : )

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra time at airport

Instead of exiting the airport walk back past the small restaurants in the arrivals hall & on the left you will see Flaps a restaurant with a small seating area. If this is not large enough then continue on through the check in area to escalator to upper level where you will see Carl's Jr.then Wings & if you keep going Starbucks on the right.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra time at airport

I agree with Conner W; forget the locales in the airport proper and cross the pedestrian bridge outside where you will find Tacón de Marlin at the foot of the bridge on the other side. Here you will enjoy your first of many culinary delights that Pto. Vallarta has to offer while waiting for the others. Beers can be had for a buck at the bodega a couple of doors down (to your right); and Tacón de Marlin will allow you to bring them (the beers) inside their restaurant.

Here is a link to the many reviews of Tacón de Marlin:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d1…

Please note that the most recent review is incorrect in that the walk is less than 3 minutes, from the airport door to the entrance of Tacón de Marlin. I cannot imagine how it took them 10 minutes. Basically as you exit Customs (Red light / Green light) and enter the proverbial 'shark tank for timeshares', just continue in the same direction to the airport exit through the sliding glass doors ahead of you. The pedestrian foot bridge is 25 yards to your Left and Tacón de Marlin is at the foot of the bridge on the other side.

If you really prefer a Carl's Jr or other US franchise food, then as ianP has mentioned, you can remain in the airport and simply go upstairs to the area BEFORE the international departures. However, why anyone would want to go to a US franchise locale after just arriving at a destination renowned for its culinary delights is beyond me. I mean gee, can't you get enough of Car's Jr or Subway back home?? LoL

¡Se diviertán!

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra time at airport

Lonestar Gumby,

There in a lot to be said for not schlepping your luggage "back and forth" across the bridge. Flaps and (Wings upstairs) are not fast food restaurants. If the OP is waiting for 2 hours they are going to have all their luggage with them, I would think they are looking for convenience. Upstairs at the airport will also give them a couple of shops to browse in if they want to do so to kill some time.

Ontario's...
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra time at airport

Yes. A three minute walk & if your on a budget (as some of us are) then the bridge is an easy & cheap option. I am 58 & lugged 2 cases over it last Friday without raising a sweat. If your not on a budget then by all means use the airport restaurants. The food @ Tacon De Marlin is very good, have not tried the airport restaurants.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra time at airport

I agree with katnsocal, I wouldn't want to haul my stuff over and back. But whatever works.

Honestly, no one's budget could be that tight that a drink or snack at the airport will break them. After all, you just flew to Puerto Vallarta, you can't play the poor person card.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 14:55
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,638 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra time at airport

A few hours sounds like a long time. So, you have time to take a look at the bridge and make your own decision about taking your luggage over there.

The arrival at the airport is straightforward and I can't tell if this is your first time to PV, so with that in mind, I 'm wondering why you are needing to wait for someone else? Is there a reason they can't be on their own getting to your accommodations, or maybe you're all staying somewhere out of town and want to travel there together? Just asking in case you haven't been through PVR in the past.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,000 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extra time at airport

How many people will be waiting? I ask because you could leave one person sitting in the main airport lobby with the luggage, then the others could exit the airport, go across the bridge, or out to the OXXO in the parking lot. Take turns doing that.

Since you are waiting several hours I would consider the suggestions of going upstairs to the departures area because there's a lot more to do there (shops, restaurants) then there is in arrivals.

A third option (depending how close where you are staying is) would be going on to your hotel/resort when you arrive and just having the last arriving person take a taxi themselves and meet you there.

suze

Edited: 18 December 2013, 15:38
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extra time at airport

I'd continue on to my hotel and get a few more hours of sun and relaxation in before the rest of the gang arrives.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,000 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extra time at airport

Another options could be to leave just one person at the airport, and the rest of the group take all the luggage and get a taxi to the hotel as soon as you arrive. Waiting "a few hours" at the airport isn't how I'd want to start a trip, there really isn't anything much to do there. Is the last person arriving separately elderly or otherwise needing special help?

suze