We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
197 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

Hello,this is our first week long vacation in Mexico. We are Canadian and going to the Sheraton in PV and its an All Inclusive. My question is do we take US dollars with us or do we get pesos before we come down to mexico. Do you pay the taxi guys and tip the staff with US dollars or ?? Any info on this is greatly appreciated to help calm my first time to Mexico anxieties.Thx

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,539 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

I would wait until you arrive, then change Canadian directly into peso. You lose twice when you double-exchange (there's no reason for Canadians to need/have/use USD in Vallarta). I pay everything in peso. It's easier that way :) suze

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

sawch- it is easy. Just get pesos from the ATMs in Mexico, same method as many people do here in Canada to get spending cash.

We do that plus we usually order pesos from our bank here before leaving, you pay a bit more but we like having pesos before we leave, and we specify we want lots of 20 and 50 denomination peso bills for tipping. We will often take any leftover USD dollar bills for tipping, just in case we can't get enough small peso bills down there, which can be a problem.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 21:27
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

You may want to change a few dollars at the airport.Just enough to pay for the taxi ride.You will probably get a better exchange rate at the front desk of the Sheraton.No need for US dollars.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

You want to take pesos. We usually take a couple of hundred to get ourselves started for cab and tips. You can order pesos from your bank or you can get them at the Currency House on Portage, among other places.

https:/…

You can also use your debit card to withdraw pesos in PV. Be sure to call your bank or go online to set a travel notification, so that your bank knows that you are using your card out of the country.

No need for anxiety. You're going to have a great trip.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

Second what luv2travelnow said .... exchange enough Cdn$$ to pesos before your trip (at a currency exchange house in Winnipeg) to get you started, then use more Cdn currency or your ATM card, to get more as required, when you are in Vallarta (and know your needs for such).

There's no need to exchange our dollars to US dollars, either before, or during your trip.

Have a great trip and stay!!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
197 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

So my TDcanadatrust debit card will work in a ATM machine in PV if i prearrange it at a local branch here before we go??

Keswick, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

Yes your card will work at all ATM's in PV! I call or email my bank and credit card company's with my dates of residence in paradise! Peso is the only way to go in Mexico! Have a blast,

United States
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

I just change all I need before I go- to pesos. I do take a debit and credit card which I've informed my bank of "vacation travel dates," before I go. I only use those cards for emergencies. Fortunately no big emergencies (like hospitalizations) have arised. Make sure you have all phone #'s handy in case they get lost or whatever.

I keep all my pesos in the room safe and only take out what I need for each day.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

There are three ATM machines in the airport lobby.

BC
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: we r Canadian,Should we take US dollars or take some pesos ?

We also get some pesos at home before we go. Usually 20's and 50's for tips and enough for the first day. We then use the ATM to get more. I think you need to have a 4 digit code for your bank card as well. The exchange rate is better there but we just like to get out of the airport and off to our condo ASAP......more time for beach and beers! Have fun !!!