We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saw something strange last night...

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Saw something strange last night...

I am here in gorgeous vallarta with my family.

We are staying at Girasol Sur.

Last night we saw from our balcony about 6 people in the water around the outcropping of rocks with underwater flashlights...there was a boat with a Few more people on it, but the boat was completely dark. When the people got back on the boat they turned off all the lights/flashlights and took off in complete darkness.

were they fishing? Looking for something that only comes out at night? Lobster? Octopus?

Wondering if anyone knows what they might have been looking for...

Thanks!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,352 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saw something strange last night...

Yes, they're fishing....I assume for octopus and lobster. If I got up in the middle of the night at Costa Sur and looked out the sliding glass door, there seemed to always be somebody out on the water near the breakwater rocks the same way you described.

Or sometimes there was someone there in the morning hauling in nets. I'm sure they're turning off the flashlights just to save their batteries, not sneaking or anything like that.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Saw something strange last night...

Thanks for the reply, that's what we thought...it was so strange to see the water lit up...it was interesting to watch... Thanks for the info.

Nicole

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saw something strange last night...

Most likely there were night diving. I have done this several times in PV in front of our resort. . It is amazing to see the marine life that comes out in the open at night that you do not see during the daytime.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,235 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saw something strange last night...

You likely would have noticed tanks if they divers, could have been that, though.

We were snorkeling in Manzanillo (during the day!) in a bay by the rocks, and a guy was free diving down to the bottom with a bag...we were curious so asked him what he was doing. He had two small octopus in his mesh bag, they were to sell to pet stores for aquariums!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saw something strange last night...

Some friends of ours do this often diving for langostas near Conchas Chinas. Pretty crazy but they love it.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saw something strange last night...

The local fisherman do it all the time. Most of the fishing boats do not have lights, thus the total darkness when they shut their flashlights off.

7. Re: Saw something strange last night...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:17