We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worried for nothing?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
307 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
worried for nothing?

OK, so I know I don't want to overact, but the recent reviews of Villa Premier really have me worried. There are several reviews from people who have been there before, and mentioned declining service and maintenance concerns. At least 3 reviews (maybe more?) have talked about in-room safe issues - no batteries, or replaced and still not working, etc. This coming from both seasoned reviewers and repeat VP guests...

They express displeasure, for example, comments about the general direction of hotel not good (more buffets when they used to have none, and running out of decent liquors and/or wines) and several left being disappointed. I gotta say I don't want to be disappointed after dropping 4k on a vacation (including air, AI) I know vacation is what you make of it, and we know about these concerns, could go and just expect it - but it gives me an uneasy feeling.

We are set to go in 1 month...but now I'm wondering if I should consider changing to a different place...but not sure where? We originally wanted Dreams PVR, I ruled it out due to looming changes, and picked VP based on good advice and reviews here, I was looking forward to trying something a little different, and being close enough to town to walk around, but not too noisy/busy. Secrets is not available, and I don't want to try the Now. Others we looked at were Sunset Plaza beach, or Garza blanca....GB is pretty far from town, and SPB seems more limiting with dining options...so may have to consider non-AI, which may or may not be an option (depends on how willing Apple is to work with me.)

I know nobody is perfect.....Just not sure what to think. Thoughts from others?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worried for nothing?

You said you're spending $4000. What does that include, for how long, and how many people?

edit - Sorry I pushed post by accident. I'm asking because if that's just for a week, air fare and AI, I think you can do better.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 03:49
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
307 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worried for nothing?

Yes, it is for a week/sat-sat last week jan. All inclusive. From okl city.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
307 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worried for nothing?

Yes, it is for a week/sat-sat last week jan. United thru houston early flight into pvr..11:30ish.All inclusive for two of us. It was for the premiere suite, one level up from basic room. Would include all food and drink, perhaps limited to 1-2 nights only in their "fancy" restaurant but all other was supposed to be ala carte based on their website when we booked in early November.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: worried for nothing?

Garza Blanca has really nice water and beach, and you're only a ten minute 75 cent bus ride into town.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: worried for nothing?

Dreams doesn't change till May !

BC
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: worried for nothing?

We stayed at sunset plaza in November and loved it! We were there fora week and ate there every night but two nights and the only reason we didn't eat there the two nights was that one night we went for supper with my dad and stepmom who live in the area and the other was because shopping took longer than we expected and we were starving. It is a wonderful hotel and the service is amazing.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worried for nothing?

KKJacks - You're right to be concerned because the reviews really aren't good from several repeat visitors and you're spending a lot of money. But, it looks like the reviews went downhill right after you made your decision, go figure! So, it's possible something (who knows what) was going on and it isn't a permanent situation.

In terms of your $4000, we don't spend that much in two weeks staying in a nice condo in town on the beach. We eat lunch and dinner, happy hour, snacks all day... out wherever we want, and shopping as much as I want. So, to me this is a lot of money to spend somewhere you're unsure about for only a week. Oh, and we fly from Kansas City, so airfares are comparable with Oklahoma City too.

If you're really wanting to change, I would go to Dreams PV as you wanted to in the first place. Even with the change coming, the reviews are still very very good and the change is still a few months away. You would only be a 10 minute fun bus ride or cab ride from the south side, and it's a pretty ride.

I have nothing against Villa Premiere, it's just that I think that's a heck of a lot of money if you wanted to stay elsewhere in the first place, and now the reviews at VP are worrying you.

Of course this is all assuming you'll be able to make the change through Apple.

Algoma Mills ON
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: worried for nothing?

Wow- We are booked at the Villa Premiere for a week in March through Air Canada Vacations. The reviews were all positive before we booked. Has the hotel gone that downhill that fast??

winnipeg
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: worried for nothing?

We stayed at now Amber last March it was a great resort highly recommend it and you can use Secrets restaurants at night. These hotels may have a connection with Apple tours.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 20:32
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
307 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: worried for nothing?

OK, so Apple did have some options for me, thankfully I got the insurance. I'd just have to pay a very nominal fee to change the reservations. They even said I could change cities, but with all this research, I do NOT want to do that!

Dreams PV is available - but I'd have to go preferred club, which is good if you've done it, and not necessary if you didn't : -). It is even MORE money...but who knows, with the good reviews, may be worth it??? That cove just looks ideal to me, so it has come into consideration again - plus, the reviews are mostly good...(where as villa premiere have really gone downhill.) I'm not into pools that much, beach is what I like most, so small pools won't bother me much.

Dreams VMagna is available too, but without spending much more money- which would be good, but I'm farther from town which I definitely want to explore a couple times.

I'm even reconsidering the non- AI approach....hubby doesn't drink, and I don't eat or drink THAT much...but it is certainly convenient. anyway...

I could do villa premiere and just go non-AI, but that will only save me $670ish. What bothers me most about the recent reviews from repeat guests is the corner-cutting, continuing issues with safes, lesser alcohol, buffets when was supposed to be alacarte, and the issue of not enough chairs. (which I see that in multiple properties reviews.)

I even was looking at the Hilton, but not sure how I feel about marina area. Are there other properties near enough downtown that have a decent, non-run down beach? I don't want tons of action 24/7, but want it accessible...that is why Villa Prem really sounded like a good happy medium.

We stayed in Ixtapa non-AI and found plenty of eateries, and I know downtown area would be the same, but those hotels aren't doing much for me. If we go non-AI, we want to be able to walk, and cab rarely for dining.

Why can't I decide what I want? Actually, I know that I want .....to be super comfy, have a beach bed under palapa for reading and relaxing, decent food and drink options without getting crap, be close enough to town to grab snacks and shop on a whim. I want responsive service for my hard-earned vacation dollars, but I do not want to have to spend too much time calling in maintenance related stuff...that all takes time! I want it all for a stellar deal....and I can't seem to find something that is nice enough to meet my needs without spending more money.

I'm making myself crazy!!