We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Melia with no kids!

Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at the Melia with no kids!

My hubby and I are having a getaway all to ourselves without kids and we found the best deal at Melia and booked it. Now I read that it is kids kids kids there and I was wondering, is it still fun and relaxing for adults if you don't have your kids? can we still feel pampered and such or is it like HYPER with kids?

thanks!

Casey

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

I stayed there a few years back,with no kids.I had a blast!What time of year are you going?That could make a big difference.There is archery,batting cages,zipline(extra charge),and of course the swim-up bar!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

I stayed there with a friend four years ago and we loved our room (had a Grand Suite set-up with 3 lock-offs and 2 kitchens and a studio in between.....we each had our own "studio apartment" with a King bed on each side).

It worked fine for us as two singles who wanted to explore the town and spent zero time on the beach or at the pool but it depends on what you have in mind for a relaxing vacation. There is only one huge pool, so no "quiet adult pool" off to the side, without kids. A couple of times, I went down to the pool to read and the racket and people approaching my lounge chair was distracting enough that I gave up. We never went to the beach or got in the pool as it was all families with kids. We were fine, because that wasn't our goal there but if it's your goal to have a relaxing time at the beach and pool, there will definitely be loads of kids and there is no other quiet space on property.

I should mention that this was in December, so maybe more kids than usual?

So, it truly depends on what you want out of your vacation. If you get a good room (as we did) yet spend most of your time off the resort, it should be fine. If you plan to spend most of your time at the resort, you will have to take the kids into consideration. I have kids and grandkids so enjoy kid-noise periodically, but it didn't work for us on that trip. We spent most of our time away from the resort.

Hope that helps.

Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

Marley thank you so much for the reply! Shoot I'm nervous now. We definitely want to relax at the resort and on the beach and the pool too. Maybe we will get lucky and it will be quieter since the holidays will be over? We are going jan 4-11. I didn't think about it, it just sounded like one of the larger AI places in the heart of the hotel zone. And it was a good price. It's tough figuring out the best place just by researching on the net. At least all the toddlers running around won't be ours!

Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

Oh George I just saw your post. Good to hear it wasn't annoying with lots of kid commotion. Thanks for yr reply. I'm going jan4 hopefully after many have left after New Years?

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

I've been there five times and the little kids are mostly in the kids club or in zero depth part of the pool. We have always enjoyed this resort and wouldn't hesitate going back as adults only vacation. We always had a blast!

Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

Thanks russnettie! I'm excited now it's only a few days away! I've never been to PV and really curious how it compares to the other popular places in Mexico. We have been to cabo and playa del carmen. We always do AI because hubby likes to not lift a finger or a brain muscle on his vacation.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

We also had a great deal and stayed at Melia (no kids)... not much peace and quiet at the hotel, but with the money saved we spent a few days at Los Muertos beach on the south side and enjoyed most of our 'quiet' dinners in town; its a great place for families, but the pool and restaurants can be a little overwhelming if youre not used to a lot of kids. We probably wouldn't stay there again unless the price is right or vacationing with family with kids.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

TIP : go to breakfast early and make reservations in advance for the later seating (no kids) at the Italian restaurant, and stay away from the buffet when you can; families/larger groups with kids go to dinner early and stay at the table all night drinking while the kids run around free lol... nights with entertainment or a movie families dine early and the buffet is quieter; the Mexican restaurant is also not as popular with families.

Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

Thank you jnsgraphic! Good tips! Got any more tips? You liked Los muertos a lot? You just take the cab there right? Did you not like the beach at all at Melia? Where was the best place to eat in PV?

Edited: 01 January 2014, 15:12
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at the Melia with no kids!

The beach in the Marina Vallarta area is rocky and narrow.I will be going to the Melia in the Summer but with kids.Good thing they have child care.That is why I selected the Melia