We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

omaha
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

We are a group of four adults renting a 3 bed/ 3 bath villa from a private owner in Conchas Chinas.

He suggested we tip a total of $750 a week to be split between the 3 person staff. That seems very high to me. Could someone please advise me on this?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

What do each do and for how long each day? Sounds like he wants you to pay their wages

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

If its peso, its good, if its USD, tell him to pay his own staff and you will tip what you guys feel is appropriate. But $750USD is 9,200 pesos. I know I don't pay my house keeper(crew of 2 ppl) in Canada $750 a week for cleaning my 4 bdr, 3 bath place, and we pay our private housekeeper in PV 150 peso per visit.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 11:31
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

He wants you to tip them 1 month salary each?for each week??So In 1 month you pay for 4 months salary???Nuts

omaha
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

Their jobs are cook, maid, and barman. We got a great deal for only $1500 for the week. It normally is double that amount. I'm guessing that he feels that since he gave us such a good deal that he wants us to be extra generous with his staff.

We leave this Saturday and I really want to do the right thing, but I feel that this is very excessive. What is a normal amount?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,370 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

Hopefully someone who has stayed in a villa that also included a full staff will be able to give you a better idea of what they normally tip.

I'm wondering though, if he gave you a good deal and he's passing on what he's losing to the staff, then that's nice imo. Shoot, maybe the villa hasn't rented in awhile and he needs to pay them....so he's doing it this way. I think some depends on if the villa definitely normally rents for $3000 a week. Sounds right in general, but still depends on so many things.

So if $3000 is correct, then 1500 plus 750 is still much less than his normal rent. But, here again....when did he ask you to tip the staff that much...before you agreed to the rental, or after?

omaha
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

No, emailed him yesterday. We rented the villa several months ago.

This is exactly what he wrote:

"The proper tip[p[ing for our staff is as follows: Marilu - $350, Eufracio - $250 and Maria - $150 on a per week basis. We recommend giving the star their tips for the first week up front, and then for the second week upon departure."

Thank you so much everyone for your input. If you have any more thoughts on this I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

I would definitely clarify that $...he may be quoting you in pesos which are prefixed by the $ also.

From talking to maid staff in PV...that first employee would be earning a salary of $1400 a month when the average hotel maid makes around $300 a month.

Just email and ask...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

youn are paying wages not tipping/and you can rent a 3000 sq ft condo on the beach for less than you are paying this guy/he saw you coming

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,370 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

If that's all he sent you, then it still begs the question of whether he means Pesos or US currency. I think you should ask for definition on that.

But, hang in there because eventually somebody will come along who has rented villas like this.

Meanwhile here's a past thread with some interesting viewpoints....but a couple have actually rented villas and you could send them a private message.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k59727…

Colleyville, Texas
Level Contributor
735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping for staff of 3 bedroom villa

Probably not comparable, but we stayed in a 2 bedroom 1,700 sq. ft. condo on the beach (Vista Del Sol) back in June, which included the typical daily maid service. The owner asked us to leave the maid a $50US tip at the end of the week and we did.

In your case, I'm assuming your staff was there working several hours each day, and even in that case, the suggested weekly tip amount appears to be VERY HIGH to me.