We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

Iowa City, Iowa
3 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

Have stayed at Velasquez vallarta and notice that there are a lot of timeshares for rent. Does anyone have any experiences with renting them and how would you buy the all-inclusive from the hotel them?

New Cumberland
Level Contributor
750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

Just keep in mind that when you are dealing with Timeshares you are often dealing with the real "sharks" of the world. This industry has not built up a horrible reputation for no reason and one must always be careful. But many Timeshare owners do rent their "weeks" on the open market, and since some of them are very desperate to find a renter, you can sometimes get a rental for far less money then it costs to purchase.

But PV also has many excellent condos (and homes) for rent, many of which are far nicer then most Timeshares. So it pays to look around, not just for a Timeshare rental, but also for condos/houses. The internet is a good starting point and one excellent web site is called VRBO.com (or homeaway.com) which is essentially a market place that tries to put owners together with renters. In PV you can find rentals in nearly any location and within most price ranges.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

Renting a timeshare was a good deal for us. We ended up being regular renters more or less and got nice rental prices from those owners in repeat years, when they weren't using it. And like you, this was also somewhere that we had stayed before, so we were very familiar with the set up there.

Where we rented, the weeks and the units were fixed.....so we got the exact unit we were renting. You know this facility....so that will help in evaluating whether you would be happy just about anywhere there, if it's not a fixed timeshare unit. You'll want to ask.

As far as figuring out the AI option, ask the person renting out the unit. Where we rented a timeshare, we would have simply arranged AI at the front desk. I can't comment further on that because we never went AI because we had a kitchen, and we were 10 minutes from town. We often fixed our own breakfast and maybe ordered a sandwich for lunch sometimes....but we were off the property a lot so we ate elsewhere.

I'm not familiar with Velazquez, where is it? I can't find anything on it?

Edited: 03 January 2014, 15:54
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

We are renting a timeshare from friends at Villa Del Palmar in Feb., they said we will be offered the AI at check in then again at a reduced price when we go to get our "welcome package" which is basically an offer / demand to attend their timeshare sales presentation.

The maintenance fees are paid whether they use their week or not so as stated earlier there can be some very good deals found on the internet, ie craigs list, e-bay, redweek. com ect.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,356 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

I think the OP means Velas (perhaps an autocorrect on a smartphone added the rest).

Renting a timeshare week from an owner, you should get your details/info from that owner as to what their deals are with the resort as per their contract. Every contract is different.

I know at the Velas that some TS owners are allowed to opt out of the mandatory all inclusive, but only the owner of the week you're renting will be able to confirm if that's what is offered in this instance. If it's included, it will be less expensive for you. If not, you would arrange the AI with the resort directly I would think, either by calling them before you go or once you arrive. If I recall correctly, the daily AI rate at the Velas isn't cheap...

I've rented unused timeshare weeks in the past at really low prices. In many cases it's weeks that an owner is unable to use and they just want to recoup their maintenance fee costs, or a portion of them. But again, I stress, talk to the owner of the week you're looking to rent, or talk directly to the company that is managing the rental week and find out the details. We could give you possibilities and estimates of what MIGHT be included, but we're not the owner. (-;

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

As a frequent AI vacationer one common complaint from time share owners/renters is how much more expensive adding AI is vs staying at the resort as an AI 'hotel' guest.

Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

A friend has 2 weeks to rent in a studio at poolside at Los Tules. He wants $550/week to cover the maintenance but I suspect he is flexible. Jan 18 and 25. Unit 5-104. it will sleep 5. There is no AI option.

New Cumberland
Level Contributor
750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

I may get "flamed" for this, but anyone looking to do an AI in PV is just nutz! PV is one of the great foodie places in the world with all kinds of restaurants and food stands that are absolutely amazing. You can get many different kinds of food (German, Austrian, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, French, etc) often at great prices. To give all this up to do an AI scheme is to miss so much of what PV has to offer. So I say stay wherever you please, but do yourself a favor and enjoy some of the fabulous food options available in PV.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

Tom,

I think your question would be best answered if you tell us where/how you are finding the rentals. Keep in mind every timeshare has time available through third party sites depending on availability. Those options may or may not be less expensive than a private owner.

Some owners put weeks out there for rent looking to make a profit and if they can't rent it they bank it until the next year.

Harrisonville...
Level Contributor
71 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

Birdman - We are also staying at Villa Del Palmar arriving on February 15th. This is a traded week given to us from my mother who owns in cabo. Have you ever been there before? I'm just curious if you have anymore information about the all-inclusive? We opted not to do this when booking as they said the charge was $170 per day for the two of us. We don't plan on spending all day everyday in the resort and felt this amount of money could go a long ways elsewhere. With spending that much we would have felt that we should stay at the resort and get our moneys worth lol. I'm wondering if you know whether they offer the AI for part of the time during the stay which we might consider or if it is required the whole stay. Also do you know what the reduced rate is that is offered when picking up the welcome package? Thanks in advance for your help!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone rented a timeshare for a week

I have rented timeshares in many locations, including PV but would never do the All Inclusive. PV is known for its restaurants. Don't you want to get off the property and take a look around?